MSI Afterburner On Damaged Graphics Card?

Raven Ocara

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014
Two nights ago- my PSU decided to take a dump while I was using my desktop computer. I got it replaced and for the most part, my computer is running okay except for a few things:

- The HDMI port I once used on my PC is no longer functional and my monitor can no longer detect a display when I plug an HDMI (I've tried two HDMI cords) cord into the output on my PC. All of my drivers are up to date so I know the output is dead.
- I think my graphics card might have an overheating issue. While my CPU was running at 40-50 degrees during a game, my graphics card was running at 60-70 degrees. I was playing Sniper Elite 3 and I played for only about 20 minutes on the resolution it automatically detected (Medium).

Aside from those two things- no errors and nothing else out of the ordinary. I know that when my PSU went out- it damaged my Radeon HD 7870 graphics card in the process, but the card is for the most part, functional. Someone referred me to MSI Afterburner and told me that could help with my GPU temperatures. I'm curious- what does MSI Afterburner do to help out with temperatures? Would it fix my temperature issues?

I'd go out and buy a new graphics card, but right now I just need this one to hold out on me for a bit while I get money for the upgrade.

fkr

Splendid
MSI afterburner would allow you to monitor your temps and also under/over clock your GPU if you so wished.

by itself it will not do anything that will just help temps.

btw those temps are not that bad and well within specs for your card.

Samsamproducts

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
I think they were referring to downloading MSI afterburner, which is a utility used for overclocking/changing the cards clock speeds, and then lowering the speeds and the voltages of the card for some reduced performance, but also lower temps. That said though, 60-70 is really not that bad of a temperature. Depending on the card 80-95 is more where you should be concerned.

Raven Ocara

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014
60-70 degrees isn't bad then? I have never tried to keep track of my GPU temperature up until now. I wasn't sure if the temps were gradually rising or not so I ended up just stopping with playing my game. It could be the temperature it was at during the duration of the the 20 minutes I was gaming, it seemed like a high temperature so that is why I decided to quite. I'll keep an eye on the temps and see if it rises in the 80 degrees range while I'm gaming and if so, I'll download Afterburner and see if that can help me out up until I can replace my card.