[SOLVED] MSI Afterburner says GPU Mem is being used on idle

AntonioHimself

Prominent
Dec 24, 2020
SORRY, I'm sort of news to this but like I really cant tell what's happening here, MSI afterburner says that my graphics card mem is being used (5508MHZ) and GPU is (1569MHZ) all of this is when I'm on idle, nothing is running in the background besides discord and that should not use that much

I've noticed as well that I feel like my games are not running how they should be like for example apex legends i can feel it should run much better considering I'm on low settings but I get around 110 fps

I've already tried updating my bios to latest and Nvidia drivers. Before any one mentions its not an MSI bug. Neither a Virus.
I was searching for answers and unfortunately couldn't find any, according to some person, might not be related but, is this MSI app like limiting my GPU? just a guess. Power limit is at 100 and Temp limit is 84

Specs:
GTX 1080 TI ZOTAC
B450-F MOTHERBOARD
RYZEN 5 2600
16GBRAM2666MHZ
650W CORSAIR PSU
2X240GB SSD
1X1TB HDD

Solution
I don't believe there's anything you CAN do. My experience is the same for the last 5.5years, but the screens I'm using have the same native refresh.
I got so used it, that I thought it was normal until recently...
It's a driver issue Nvidia gave up trying to patch. If you go multi monitor off the gpu, power consumption on light(er) tasks is going to be higher.
About the only ways I see getting around it are:
1)Single, ultrawide screen, if you need the real estate.
2)Have a cpu with an iGPU. Plug one screen into it, and the other into the gpu. Unfortunately, Ryzen 2600 does not have an iGPU.

I think AMD's cards have the same problem. Must be a real headache if neither brand has a fix for it...
If you have two monitors, having them at uneven refresh rates (i.e., can you divide on into the other?) causes the GPU to idle at a higher power level.

Also lowering the graphics quality puts the performance burden on the CPU moreso the GPU. The CPU still has to send stuff for the GPU to do and it can only do it so fast.

AntonioHimself

Prominent
Dec 24, 2020
If you have two monitors, having them at uneven refresh rates (i.e., can you divide on into the other?) causes the GPU to idle at a higher power level.

Also lowering the graphics quality puts the performance burden on the CPU moreso the GPU. The CPU still has to send stuff for the GPU to do and it can only do it so fast.
So... what are you suggesting i do...?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I don't believe there's anything you CAN do. My experience is the same for the last 5.5years, but the screens I'm using have the same native refresh.
I got so used it, that I thought it was normal until recently...
It's a driver issue Nvidia gave up trying to patch. If you go multi monitor off the gpu, power consumption on light(er) tasks is going to be higher.
About the only ways I see getting around it are:
1)Single, ultrawide screen, if you need the real estate.
2)Have a cpu with an iGPU. Plug one screen into it, and the other into the gpu. Unfortunately, Ryzen 2600 does not have an iGPU.

I think AMD's cards have the same problem. Must be a real headache if neither brand has a fix for it...

Solution