[SOLVED] MSI Afterburner shows 20% fan speed but 0 rpm on tachometer

Status
Not open for further replies.

iam480p

Honorable
Oct 18, 2017
Good day, everyone. I have an XFX RX 480 GTR. There seems to be a bug in MSI Afterburner and in the Radeon Software. When it is in idle, the fans stop spinning but MSI Afterburner reports that my fan speed is at 20% but when I check below, it reports 0 RPM. Same thing happens when I open up the Radeon Software. It shows 20% fan speed but the weird thing is, it reports 733 RPM when in idle.

Things I've already tried:

Clean reinstall of drivers using DDU
Downgrading and updating gpu drivers
Re-seating the gpu into the slot
Re-clipping the 2 fans. (the card has easy access to the two fans and is easily removable)

Solution
Afterburner has issues with reading & controlling fans with a lot of cards.
many times you are required to use the manufacturer's GPU control software to actually read & set custom fan curves that work.
Afterburner reports that my fan speed is at 20% but when I check below, it reports 0 RPM. Same thing happens when I open up the Radeon Software. It shows 20% fan speed but the weird thing is, it reports 733 RPM
733 x 5 = 3665rpm max speed.
compare that to what your GPU's specs state for it's fans.
if it's within a few %, than it is correct.
Afterburner has issues with reading & controlling fans with a lot of cards.
many times you are required to use the manufacturer's GPU control software to actually read & set custom fan curves that work.
Afterburner reports that my fan speed is at 20% but when I check below, it reports 0 RPM. Same thing happens when I open up the Radeon Software. It shows 20% fan speed but the weird thing is, it reports 733 RPM
733 x 5 = 3665rpm max speed.
compare that to what your GPU's specs state for it's fans.
if it's within a few %, than it is correct.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.