Question MSI Afterburner, which temp should I consider?

Dec 23, 2019
My RX 5700XT runs at around 70C under load which should be fine. But MSI Afterburner shows me that the edge/max temp is 90C, which needs adjusting. Which temp do I consider? Should I go with 70C which gives me a little more room for OC, or should I consider 90C my temp under load, which I would need to lower drastically.

My RX 5700XT runs at around 70C under load which should be fine. But MSI Afterburner shows me that the edge/max temp is 90C, which needs adjusting. Which temp do I consider? Should I go with 70C which gives me a little more room for OC, or should I consider 90C my temp under load, which I would need to lower drastically.

Navi reports two temperatures and they are both correct just read at different areas of the die. The traditional temperature reading is (usually) the lower of the two, the higher being what's called the 'HotSpot' which is right in the center of the hottest part of the die. But if you're not using a program that reports both at the same time I don't think you can know what you're looking at. Use GPU-z, it reports both on it's Sensors tab.

According to AMD, as reported by Steve at Gamers Nexus, it's perfectly normal for 5700/XT hotspot temperatures to run up to 110C during intense action. That was specific to the reference boards being reviewed, with their poor cooling and loud blower fans. So while 90C is a bit hotter than top-end 5700/XT partner boards, the ones with the best cooling, it's still in the safe zone.