Question MSI AIO Not Cooling Correctly

geektoid

Reputable
Apr 2, 2019
Hi all!

I was wondering if I can get some advice/help. Recently, my MSI MAG CORELIQUID 240R that I've had for 2 years has been...not working correctly. I am a video editor and I also built my PC. I got a Asus Tuf Gaming x570 with a Ryzen 5900x, 64GB's Corsair Vengeance 3200 RAM, and a Gigabyte RTX 3070.

So anyways, I built this 2 years ago, I take pretty good care of it, clean it every 4-6 months or so so it doesn't get too dusty or dirty. Fan configurations in the traditional Pull-Push from right to left. Not overclocking. I also have the latest release of both Davinci Resolve 17 and Premiere Pro CC (I use both for my work). I haven't had any issue until a few weeks ago when I started noticing that render times were getting slower and slower and the fans were ramping up more and more. Also, when I just press play and watch any clips (any clips, no matter that size or resolution) the CPU would begin throttling. GPU acceleration is also on. I used the Ryzen Master app to check to see what was going on, and the CPU was throttling like a mofo. I tried troubleshooting, even under-volting it to see if that would help, but anytime I went to render something (or even share my screen via zoom), it was throttling. 90c and over every time. The pump and rad seems to be working and in the right slots (again, built this 2 years ago, and it's been running fine). I changed the thermal paste out to see if that helped, unfortunately that didn't do anything (Thermal Paste - Corsair XTM50 replacing Noctua NT-H1).

So, with all that information, does it sound like something is failing in the AIO? Will I need to invest in a new one or is there another troubleshooting method I can attempt to save it? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
fOIFxup.jpg

Last edited:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hi all!

I was wondering if I can get some advice/help. Recently, my MSI MAG CORELIQUID 240R that I've had for 2 years has been...not working correctly. I am a video editor and I also built my PC. I got a Asus Tuf Gaming x570 with a Ryzen 5900x, 64GB's Corsair Vengeance 3200 RAM, and a Gigabyte RTX 3070.

So anyways, I built this 2 years ago, I take pretty good care of it, clean it every 4-6 months or so so it doesn't get too dusty or dirty. Fan configurations in the traditional Pull-Push from right to left. Not overclocking. I also have the latest release of both Davinci Resolve 17 and Premiere Pro CC (I use both for my work). I haven't had any issue until a few weeks ago when I started noticing that render times were getting slower and slower and the fans were ramping up more and more. I used the Ryzen Master app to check to see what was going on, and the CPU was throttling like a mofo. I tried troubleshooting, even under-volting it to see if that would help, but anytime I went to render something (or even share my screen via zoom), it was throttling. 90c and over every time. The pump and rad seems to be working and in the right slots (again, built this 2 years ago, and it's been running fine). I changed the thermal paste out to see if that helped, unfortunately that didn't do anything (Thermal Paste - Corsair XTM50 replacing Noctua NT-H1).

So, with all that information, does it sound like something is failing in the AIO? Will I need to invest in a new one or is there another troubleshooting method I can attempt to save it? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
fOIFxup.jpg
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/m...40r-360r-aio-coolers-due-to-sediment-build-up

Reactions: geektoid

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You're fortunate, as a number of users don't even get a year out of them.
A recall was started a couple months ago, yours probably doesn't qualify though:
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/m...40r-360r-aio-coolers-due-to-sediment-build-up

https://us.msi.com/Landing/liquid-cooler-swap-application?s=09

Will I need to invest in a new one or is there another troubleshooting method I can attempt to save it?
Most likely it's done for. Majority of modern AIOs are not user-serviceable. Keep the fans that work - as spares or something - and toss it.
When dealing with AIOs, have a backup cooler on hand for when pump failures occur, so you incur less downtime.

geektoid

Reputable
Apr 2, 2019
You're fortunate, as a number of users don't even get a year out of them.
A recall was started a couple months ago, yours probably doesn't qualify though:

https://us.msi.com/Landing/liquid-cooler-swap-application?s=09

Most likely it's done for. Majority of modern AIOs are not user-serviceable. Keep the fans that work - as spares or something - and toss it.
When dealing with AIOs, have a backup cooler on hand for when pump failures occur, so you incur less downtime.
Didn't know about this. Probably out of Warranty. Whelp, time to get another. Or maybe time to look into building a custom loop. Thanks!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Probably out of Warranty.
Isn't it 5 years(it might vary by country though)? At least, that's what Newegg, Amazon and a Coreliquid 360R review showed me.

EDIT: It might not even matter for their replacement though, if Msi is still uses Apaltek. All models made by that OEM have incurred deaths within a year due to clogging:
NZXT Kraken M22
Enermax Liqtech and Liqmax
Msi MAG and MPG

Since yours is at least 2 years old and mounted at the top, it could just be air exposure - the pump is up there.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS