MSI Announces Ten New 200-Series Gaming Motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen some very nice looking 200-Series motherboards from all the big motherboard manufacturers. Big improvement in looks over the previous generations. My ASUS Z87-Pro looks like a cat's turd compared to these sexy new boards. I am truly impressed. Hell, I'd be willing to upgrade to Kaby Lake just to get one of these great looking motherboards!

Well done, motherboard design dudes! :p

I can completely understand that sentiment. I'm still using an Ivy Bridge i7-3770k. Performance wise I have no desire to upgrade, but my motherboard looks rather lackluster compared to these. I've wanted one of these boards with the more powerful audio hardware for a while now, and the steel reinforced PCI-E and RAM slots just look excellent even if they aren't that practical on the RAM. My board is also getting a bit glitchy. Would upgrade, but the CPU still works perfectly, so I guess I'mma stick with it at least until the board kicks the bucket.

uglyduckling81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
Was actually thinking I wish someone would make a full featured board but cut $50 off the price and not bother with all the aesthetic shit. Give me plain and functional for a cheap price.

problematiq

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015

I'm still running a 3770k as well. I just upgrade my graphics card every once and a while and I'm good. I think the motivating factor of my next upgrade will be if I run out of PCI-E slots and want to use an M.2 SSD.

That's getting to be the case more and more these days. CPU performance is increasing at a slower rate than ever before, but the rest of the industry is moving ahead just as fast as always. M.2 support would be nice too, on that front I'm not concerned with it until prices drop more.

@uglyduckling81: I can understand that point too. I'm sort of in the middle. I care more about function than anything else, but I w ant it to look nice too. I don't particularly like all of the RGB LEDs on everything though.

problematiq

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015

Still limited to 4 lanes of DMI 3.0 between the CPU and the chipset though, so don't get too carried away else you will create a bottleneck.

Yes, all 200-series motherboards support Skylake and Kaby Lake processors. There are a few exceptions that won't work on these, such as the Skylake Xeon CPUs, but everything else will work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.