Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 7, 2018
I recently decided to upgrade my RAM and noticed that my MSI board only supports DDR4 up to 2400mhz. It also says I can give my DDR4 a boost? Does that mean it's possible to get above 2400mhz? I was going to get Corsair Vengeance LPX 16gb DDR4 3000mhz but if I can't get above 2400mhz is there any point? Another thing is that the 3000mhz is only $10 more than the 2400mhz.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B250M-BAZOOKA.html

Update: I have 7th gen i7-7700

Solution
Your board ONLY supports 2400mhz IF you have a 7th gen CPU installed. Kaby lake.

If you have a 6th gen Skylake CPU installed, 2133mhz is the best you can do. The "boost" they are talking about is likely in terms of more aggressive timings, and has nothing to do with overclocking or faster memory frequency/speed. In ANY case, you cannot get beyond 2400mhz on that board, no matter WHAT you do or buy. My advice if you want a faster system would be upgrade the whole platform or at minimum, get a better board.

A lot depends on what CPU you have installed as well? But to be honest, you probably aren't going to see any terrific performance increase going from 2400mhz to 3000mhz, at least not enough to justify the cost of faster sticks. Now...
Your board ONLY supports 2400mhz IF you have a 7th gen CPU installed. Kaby lake.

If you have a 6th gen Skylake CPU installed, 2133mhz is the best you can do. The "boost" they are talking about is likely in terms of more aggressive timings, and has nothing to do with overclocking or faster memory frequency/speed. In ANY case, you cannot get beyond 2400mhz on that board, no matter WHAT you do or buy. My advice if you want a faster system would be upgrade the whole platform or at minimum, get a better board.

A lot depends on what CPU you have installed as well? But to be honest, you probably aren't going to see any terrific performance increase going from 2400mhz to 3000mhz, at least not enough to justify the cost of faster sticks. Now, if you're going to increase the capacity(amount) of RAM, then it might be worth doing.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.