MSI B350 and Ryzen 5 compatability

Oct 5, 2018
Hey hoping to get some help with my new build

MSI B350 PC MATE
Ryzen 5 1600
G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3000MHz 2x8gb

Initially I had trouble posting then realised one of the RAM sticks wasn't working so I returned them to the retailer who tested both sticks and said they were in working condition and sent back to myself. To detail the issue I have, if I use of of the sticks in the correct RAM slot (second from the CPU as per mobo guide), it'll boot and work normally. However, if I swap out the RAM stick for the other stick into the SAME slot on the mobo, I get the EZ debug on CPU and no post, despite everything still running as well as the RAM stick lighting up.

In my head, this means that the second RAM stick isn't working and yet the retailer's tech support said they were working fine.
I have the latest BIOS for my B350 also, in case this was the issue. What's interesting is that when I put the apparently faulty stick into the 4th DIMM slot so as to dual channel, the PC won't boot same as if I'd had used the faulty one alone. h

Anyone have any ideas? I'm tempted to just RMA the RAM back to the retailer and buy another set. What worries me is that the RAM I've bought isn't on the 'official' supported list on MSI's B350 PC MATE website using the Ryzen 1x00 series compatibility list.

Thanks in advance.

Forget the retailer. RMA it to the manufacturer. So long as you have your purchase information, that is a much better avenue to take. If you explain to them what's going on as you stated here, which leads me to agree with you, I think they'll agree.

Did you buy these sticks together in a matched set, or were they purchased separately?

What is the model number of the sticks you bought? You can check them against user verified compatibility at the following link.

They don't need to be on the QVL list. Those lists are only a sampling of the memory that has been tested on the board and does not reflect every model that is, or is not, specifically compatible.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/18051-memory/1627555-ryzen-memory-ic-collection-thread.html

Oct 5, 2018

Thanks for reply! Mmm I might actually go through G Skill themselves you're right.
My model number is F4-3000C16D-16GTZR and I bought 2 sticks as a pack together
This model is listed on the link you provided so I guess users have had it work before?

Yes, it IS listed, so somebody submitted it as verified. However, I can tell you for a fact from my own observations participating in Ryzen based threads and reading a number of guides on the subject that Ryzen does not seem to have an appreciation of Hynix A die modules, which those are.

If you are able to return them and get a set of G.Skill Trident Z or Ripjaws modules, or Corsair modules, that use Samsung B-die ICs (Memory chips), which are listed on that same page, you'll be a lot more likely to have success. I think in this case though, it's simply a matter of a bad module regardless that the vendor says otherwise. I seriously doubt that whoever it was you bought these from had any way to "test" them, as that is generally something left to the manufacturer to do.

AFAIK, Amazon does not have facilities for testing hardware, neither does Newegg really, not to an OEM level of testing, so I'd trust G.Skill in this a lot more than anybody else. In that case you'd get the same modules though, still Hynix A die most likely. If you are able to process a return to the seller and get B die Samsung equipped modules it would be to your benefit most likely. Either way, good luck with the outcome.