Question MSI B350 needing bios update for 2700x?

Ryan Torrence

Honorable
Jun 12, 2015
I'm currently in the process of upgrading my PC, however, I am moving from intel to AMD so I don't have a CPU to flash the bios and update.

I'm aware of the compatibility of older bios versions with newer gen ryzens but should a 2700x be able to run on this board or will I need to try and use the AMD loaner program to get this sorted?

not guaranteed but most new stock will have an up-to-date bios

I'm currently in the process of upgrading my PC, however, I am moving from intel to AMD so I don't have a CPU to flash the bios and update.

I'm aware of the compatibility of older bios versions with newer gen ryzens but should a 2700x be able to run on this board or will I need to try and use the AMD loaner program to get this sorted?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Depends on the manufacture date of the board, or whether the previous owner updated the BIOS (if used).

But, the B350 boards pre-date a 2700X, so work on the assumption that it will need a BIOS update. If you get lucky, a later date of manufacture etc, then bonus.

Which "MSI B350" though? Quite a few MSI boards have the functionality to flash the BIOS without a compatible CPU/RAM installed..... but it depends on the board.

Ryan Torrence

Honorable
Jun 12, 2015
Depends on the manufacture date of the board, or whether the previous owner updated the BIOS (if used).

But, the B350 boards pre-date a 2700X, so work on the assumption that it will need a BIOS update. If you get lucky, a later date of manufacture etc, then bonus.

Which "MSI B350" though? Quite a few MSI boards have the functionality to flash the BIOS without a compatible CPU/RAM installed..... but it depends on the board.
i should add that i bought it from a friend in new condition used for like a month tops, he bought it probably about a year or more ago so ill send in a request for the loaner program

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
If possible, I'd still reach out and ask if the BIOS was updated/when the last time they did so was.
Ryzen, especially first Gen, received very frequent BIOS updates to improve compatibility & stability. IMO, it's unlikely that they never updated the BIOS at least once - although whether they updated late enough to have compatibility for a 2700X is anybodies guess.

As I asked though..... WHICH "MSI B350 board are we talking about?

Ryan Torrence

Honorable
Jun 12, 2015
If possible, I'd still reach out and ask if the BIOS was updated/when the last time they did so was.
Ryzen, especially first Gen, received very frequent BIOS updates to improve compatibility & stability. IMO, it's unlikely that they never updated the BIOS at least once - although whether they updated late enough to have compatibility for a 2700X is anybodies guess.

As I asked though..... WHICH "MSI B350 board are we talking about?
apologies i missed that part the b350 tomahawk arctic
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813144028

I'm talking to him at the moment and he didn't update it and it was bought early on in ryzen so its old bios

Barty1884

Retired Moderator