Question MSI B350 PC MATE bios chip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 15, 2020
Good day I have a MSI B350 PC MATE motherboard with a corrupted bios. I took the bios chip off the motherboard and reprogram it with my ch341a programmer. In an attempt to solder it back on the board, one of the legs broke clean off. I couldn't get any thing to solder to the leg so I decided to buy a new chip on AliExpress. I brought a chip with same number on the chip which was a mx25u12873f, a 1.8v 16mb 128 m bit chip but when I try to use it on my ch341a programmer with the 1.8v adapter it won't read the chip. Then I try reading it with out the 1.8v adapter it read the chip fine. This leads me to believe that this chip is a 3.3v chip and can't work at 1.8. which the motherboard uses. It seem that the Chinese company I brought it from manufacturer this chip as 3.3v. So I have to buy a new chip but I don't want to buy that mx25u12873f chip because it's hard to find and expensive when I do find one. My question is can I use an alternative chip such as win bond w25q128fwsig which has the same specs as the mx25u12873f chip ? It is much cheaper and easy to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.