Question MSI B350 PRO VDH or MSI B450M GAMING PLUS

Mar 11, 2019
Hello everyone, I'm new here. I have a question that is not letting me sleep.

I bought an MSI B350 PRO VDH motherboard and I'm not sure if I should replace it with a MSI B450M GAMING PLUS for better performance. Currently I have the following components: 1 ryzen 5 1600, 2x8gb xpg dazzle 2400, 1 Samsung evo 960 500gb, 1 zotac rtx 2060 twin fan and a Corsair cx430m 80 plus bronze PSU.

My goal is to play some games at 2560x1080 (Ultrawide) and maybe make a small overclock of memory and processor, but it will not be something very extreme and constant.

I was told that even the color of the B350 PCB I have is worse because it's brown.

What do you think? Should I replace this motherboard?

Thanks in advance.

Forgive me for the lousy English.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
You may be able to overclock your CPU a bit higher with the Gaming Plus, but otherwise there isn't going to be a performance difference.

The color of the PCB doesn't matter.

Have you already completed building your PC with the Pro VDH? If so, I don't think it's worth replacing it.

Mar 11, 2019
Good night. Thanks for replying.

I will receive the motherboard tomorrow, but I can return it. The other components mentioned above are already with me.

About PSU, I'm really going to check this need, although I believe my system at full load will not even reach 300W.

To conclude, let's leave the motherboard look aside and go to the last points that I consider the most important.

* The Heatsinks (CHIPSET AND VRM):

Is there a very big difference in the quality of the heatsinks of both motherboards to the point of compromising durability or performance?

* VRM:

I have read in some reviews that some motherboards of these implement different modes of VRM (4 + 2 phases or 6 + 2 phases) or even false phases of VRM in some B350. I do not remember correctly the correct term, please forgive me if I'm talking bullshit. I'm just talking about this because I saw that it could compromise the use experience with Ryzen overclocking or not. According to the use I said I will make with the motherboard + processor, will this have a big impact when it comes to overclocking or not?

Finally, since I live in Brazil and here the prices practiced are very different from the US, the price difference between the motherboard I bought and the B450 Gaming Plus is relevant. Making the conversion, it gets an approximate value of $ 115.00 Pro VDH x $ 160 Gaming Plus.

As you can see, we here in Brazil suffer a little to have something with the name "Gaming".

Still think I should trade for the B450? Or is it better to stick with the B350 and invest in a better PSU?

Once again thank you all and forgive me for possible grammar errors. I'm still not fluent in English. Have a good night.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
The VRM heatsink on the Gaming Plus appears to be bigger, whether it does a significantly better job I couldn't say. The actual VRMs appear to be more or less the same, both being 4+2. Yes VRMs can make a difference for overclocking and if you were trying to overclock a 2700X to 4.2 GHz or something it might be something to be concerned about. For a small overclock of a 1600 I think you'll be fine with either motherboard.

Getting faster memory (3000-3200 MHz) is going to make a bigger difference than going with the Gaming Plus. Getting a better PSU is also a good idea.