[SOLVED] Msi b350m Bazooka with Ryzen 5 3600

themish

Reputable
Jul 28, 2019
Hi All,

I wanted to ask, I've been considering upgrading my cpu for a little while, and I guess it ended up being sooner then later, though that wasn't really my intention. Here are my current spec:

Msi b350m Bazooka
Ryzen 5 1400
RX 580 4gb
16gb Ram
Evga 650 Watt G2 Psu

I really dont mind staying behind a few generations with my stuff. I was planning on upgrading to a Ryzen 5 2600, but last week I sat that Amazon had the Ryzen 3 3600 was back in stock, and just sort of went for it. I checked the price on the 2600, and it was identical to the 3600, so figured to just go with that. The cpu is on my mobo's compatibility list, and a few weeks ago I did update my bios to the latest stable version, but am realizing that I need to update to the beta bios for the 3000 series. I did have a few questions:

Is there any concern using the beta bios for the 3000 series?
As I understand it, I'm going to update the bios with my 1400, restart, then install the 3600. Is this correct?
Do I need to do anything with chipset drivers? I havent updated since I got this pc (cyberpower power pc prebuilt from 2018)
Is there anything I'm missing?

Any help really is appreciated. In looking at benchmarks, I'm starting to realize that this is a little more powerful then I thought, so I just want to be sure that everything will play nicely, I really do appreciate your thoughts.

Solution
I appreciate the response, its helps a bunch. I apologize if this sounds like a dumb question, but when I look in add remove programs, and I do see that I have amd chipset drivers installed. Will this update when I install the new cpu, or do I need to uninstall this, and install the one I download from amd's site? Ans what would happen if I didnt install the chipset drivers?
Drivers from AMD site are usually newest ones to keep in step with W10 developments. You don't need to uninstall old ones usually, just update them, Chipset drivers consist of several driver, usually 6-8 and if they wouldn't install properly, uninstalling old ones helps.
There are no CPU drivers as such, those are only windows drivers. If you don't install...
Hi All,

I wanted to ask, I've been considering upgrading my cpu for a little while, and I guess it ended up being sooner then later, though that wasn't really my intention. Here are my current spec:

Msi b350m Bazooka
Ryzen 5 1400
RX 580 4gb
16gb Ram
Evga 650 Watt G2 Psu

I really dont mind staying behind a few generations with my stuff. I was planning on upgrading to a Ryzen 5 2600, but last week I sat that Amazon had the Ryzen 3 3600 was back in stock, and just sort of went for it. I checked the price on the 2600, and it was identical to the 3600, so figured to just go with that. The cpu is on my mobo's compatibility list, and a few weeks ago I did update my bios to the latest stable version, but am realizing that I need to update to the beta bios for the 3000 series. I did have a few questions:

As I understand it, I'm going to update the bios with my 1400, restart, then install the 3600. Is this correct?
Do I need to do anything with chipset drivers? I havent updated since I got this pc (cyberpower power pc prebuilt from 2018)

Any help really is appreciated. In looking at benchmarks, I'm starting to realize that this is a little more powerful then I thought, so I just want to be sure that everything will play nicely, I really do appreciate your thoughts.
Don't worry about Beta state of BIOS, it's more than likely there will be no newer one.
Yes, get chipset drivers from AMD site and install them before you update BIOS using your old CPU.

themish

Reputable
Jul 28, 2019
Don't worry about Beta state of BIOS, it's more than likely there will be no newer one.
Yes, get chipset drivers from AMD site and install them before you update BIOS using your old CPU.

I appreciate the response, its helps a bunch. I apologize if this sounds like a dumb question, but when I look in add remove programs, and I do see that I have amd chipset drivers installed. Will this update when I install the new cpu, or do I need to uninstall this, and install the one I download from amd's site? Ans what would happen if I didnt install the chipset drivers?

Drivers from AMD site are usually newest ones to keep in step with W10 developments. You don't need to uninstall old ones usually, just update them, Chipset drivers consist of several driver, usually 6-8 and if they wouldn't install properly, uninstalling old ones helps.
There are no CPU drivers as such, those are only windows drivers. If you don't install updated chipset drivers, new BIOS and CPU may not work properly or will not give you best performance.

Solution
Hi All,

Msi b350m Bazooka
Ryzen 5 1400
RX 580 4gb
16gb Ram
Evga 650 Watt G2 Psu

The BETA BIOS just means AMD did not fully regression test the AGESA's functioning with all AM4 processors. That may sound bad but the only good reason to upgrade to this version is for a Ryzen 3000 processor which is it's intended use.

It's very important to always do a CMOS reset after updating BIOS at any time.

I always recommend updating to the latest chipset drivers-from the AMD website to be sure they're the latest-after updating BIOS. I suggest this even if you had the latest installed already. The reason is the install is conditional and so may vary depending on BIOS/AGESA revision and CPU it 'sees'. It may be unnecessary but it does no harm.

Also, just so you know the BIOS appearance will change radically. It's much simpler with no GUI. I think it's easier to navigate though and has all the control settings that are needed.

Last edited:

themish

Reputable
Jul 28, 2019
The BETA BIOS just means AMD did not fully regression test the AGESA's functioning with all AM4 processors. That may sound bad but the only good reason to upgrade to this version is for a Ryzen 3000 processor which is it's intended use.

It's very important to always do a CMOS reset after updating BIOS at any time.

I always recommend updating to the latest chipset drivers-from the AMD website to be sure they're the latest-after updating BIOS. I suggest this even if you had the latest installed already. The reason is the install is conditional and so may vary depending on BIOS/AGESA revision and CPU it 'sees'. It may be unnecessary but it does no harm.

Also, just so you know the BIOS appearance will change radically. It's much simpler with no GUI. I think it's easier to navigate though and has all the control settings that are needed.

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it. So I did locate the chipset drivers on AMDs site. Even though I have chipset drivers install currently, would I just run the installer and let it do its thing? It not totally clear to me if it'll install/overwrite what it needs to, or if I'm going to be manually selecting anything.

And I am aware about the simplified interface on the beta bios. Initially to prep for the new cpu, I updated to the latest bios for my mobo, which was a beta bios. After using it a bit, I got a blue screen, which really concerned me. So I updated to the latest stable bios, and havent had any issues. So I was able to see the new interface, but the blue screen is why I'm so nervous about a new cpu and using the beta bios meant for it.

I'lll be honest, it is a little confusing when you tell me to update chipset drivers after the bios update and cpu install, and the previous poster says to do chipset before bios and new cpu. A cpu change is big for me, I'm just trying not to screw this thing up haha.

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it. So I did locate the chipset drivers on AMDs site. Even though I have chipset drivers install currently, would I just run the installer and let it do its thing? It not totally clear to me if it'll install/overwrite what it needs to, or if I'm going to be manually selecting anything.

And I am aware about the simplified interface on the beta bios. Initially to prep for the new cpu, I updated to the latest bios for my mobo, which was a beta bios. After using it a bit, I got a blue screen, which really concerned me. So I updated to the latest stable bios, and havent had any issues. So I was able to see the new interface, but the blue screen is why I'm so nervous about a new cpu and using the beta bios meant for it.

I'lll be honest, it is a little confusing when you tell me to update chipset drivers after the bios update and cpu install, and the previous poster says to do chipset before bios and new cpu. A cpu change is big for me, I'm just trying not to screw this thing up haha.
Chipset drivers should be installed BEFORE BIOS upgrade so windows will se all new features for sure although they might (but not surely) download and install whatever they have i data base. Most drivers are not developed by MS, they get them from part manufacturer but usually in very simple mode and a bit late. Getting them straight from source, in this case AMD ensures newest drivers including compatibility with newest Windows updates.
When updating BIOS, it's more important that CMOS is cleared before flashing, once flashed BIOS/CMOS is set to factory defaults anyway but resetting CMOS is not bad idea.

Chipset drivers should be installed BEFORE BIOS upgrade so windows will se all new features for sure although they might (but not surely) download and install whatever they have i data base. Most drivers are not developed by MS, they get them from part manufacturer but usually in very simple mode and a bit late. Getting them straight from source, in this case AMD ensures newest drivers including compatibility with newest Windows updates.
When updating BIOS, it's more important that CMOS is cleared before flashing, once flashed BIOS/CMOS is set to factory defaults anyway but resetting CMOS is not bad idea.
Soooo... which part is wrong here ?

The chipset driver is for the AMD chipset that interfaces closely with the CPU; don't be confused, AMD develops it. Download it from the AMD website to be sure you are getting the latest. AMD has stated in the past that it should be re-installed after certain AGESA updates so it can be conditional so that makes it a good idea to do it AFTER updating BIOS.

Starting with your current CPU in the computer the correct order would be: update BIOS to the beta BIOS to support your new CPU, shutdown and replace CPU, reset CMOS, boot up, reinstall the new chipset driver.

It doesn't matter if you also reset CMOS before you update the BIOS, it can't hurt and may help, just be sure to do it AFTER and before making custom settings.
It doesn't matter if you also install the chipset driver before updating BIOS, it can't hurt and may help. Just be sure to re-install it after updating BIOS and installing the new CPU. The chipset driver install process knows how to handle re-installs. It just looks to see what's required based on system configuration and hardware then looks to see if it's already got those 'drivers' and their revision. It only installs or replaces what is needed.

The motherboard mfr. also provides other board functions like the LAN chip and audio chip. They come from other mfr's. Download just the chipset driver from AMD to be sure you have the latest.

If you updated the BIOS to the the Ryzen 3000 BIOS (for 3rd gen Ryzen) and you are still using a 1st or 2nd gen CPU it may not function properly. It's really intended for 3rd Gen Ryzen.

One thing you need to know is Windows may become troublesome, with blue screens or crashes, after such a major hardware update. It's a good idea to keep backups of important files as you might need to do a clean install of Windows.

Last edited:
Soooo... which part is wrong here ?
AMD has specifically stated chipset drivers should be re-installed, even if previously installed, AFTER some AGESA updates that fixed early Zen2 problems. In OP's case, he's going from a Zen2-ignorant BIOS to a zen2-aware one and that almost certainly will mean a clean chipset driver install so the installer can see the new AGESA level and hardware configuration to respond accordingly.

And Ryzen is very much an SOC with the CPU itself handling functions for things like USB ports, SATA ports and PCIe in addition to memory. It only makes sense to re-install AFTER a change because those things can change pretty radically from 1st to 3rd generation CPU's.

Also: AMD may farm parts of it out, I don't know, but they publish the chipset drivers. That's why they're up-to-date on their website and too many board mfr's, especially older B350 boards, might not be.

And finally: I also feel a BIOS update SHOULD do a hard reset of CMOS during the install (it's an option on the command line BIOS update tool). BUT, with all the problems we've seen that are fixed by CMOS resets following an update it doesn't seem likely that's always happening; it's an option and it may not be enabled. Since doing it isn't going to cause harm...do it after also. Just to be sure.

Last edited:
This is what Asus says about chipset drivers
PRIME X470-PRO 4602
Update AGESA 0072 for the upcoming processors.
ASUS strongly recommends that you update AMD chipset driver 18.50.16 or later before updating BIOS.

In addition, at least on this MB, Bios would not update with any BIOS version unless CMOS was cleared beforehand. I always (and that's 30 years +) clear CMOS before a flash so even if it did update it wouldn't even post with old settings as each BIOS version comes with some changes in settings. Also UEFI BIOS is different from Legacy/CSM in that it also contains SW in addition to firmware in EEPROM whose settings may not coincide. It's easy to see in any BIOS/UEFI editor and programs like UEFITool and EasyUEFI. In addition every type of BIOS like Award and Phoenix etc, have editors for own BIOS chips. That's how BIOS can be modded from factory options to other uses like mining for instance or to ad/modify some features.

This is what Asus says about chipset drivers
PRIME X470-PRO 4602
Update AGESA 0072 for the upcoming processors.
ASUS strongly recommends that you update AMD chipset driver 18.50.16 or later before updating BIOS.
I remember that same notice about the time Ryzen APU's came out...at least at that time thought was that was to be sure the iGPU would work after updating to the APU supported BIOS. At any rate: just try to find that particular chipset driver version. It's one of those things

No problem updating before the BIOS update, just be sure to do it afterwards...and after swapping the CPU...too.

I have to admit, the whole thing is a bit dicey when attempting to provide platform support across so many CPU and motherboard generations, especially with upgrades. I have to suppose this is just one reason Intel doesn't do anything similar.

TRENDING THREADS