Question msi b350m gaming pro not posting after bios update

Jan 7, 2020
Hello everyone.
I have msi b350m gaming pro motherboard running 7A39v2L bios version. I plan to upgrade soon to ryzen 5 3600 from my ryzen 3 2200g so I wanted to update bios to latest 7A39v2NQ(Beta version). Anyway I updated bios on this board a few times in the past so I thought everything will go smoothly this time too. I plugged in usb with bios files on it and run bios update process and after it was complete (I guess it was completed as pc restarted at 100%) and all I got is black screen. No post and no beeping from motherboard, just cpu, gpu and case fans spinning at high speed. Tried restarting pc a couple of times, I even left it for 8+ hours while I was at work hoping it would finally boot but got nothing.
Ez debug lights are off. Only Boot light turns on for one second as soon as I power on pc and then turns off. After that nothing happens, just fans endlessly spinning.
I have tried to:
reset cmos by connecting pins with screwdriver couple of times, but nothing happens,
remove battery for 2 hours,
switch hdmi cable from igpu to gpu and vice versa (gpu was removed when I plugged hdmi cable to motherboard),
tried booting with just one ram stick,
tried without ram but motherboard beeps as expected,
removed motherboard from the case and reconnecting all psu cables and then again resetting cmos and booting up

Nothing worked so I write you here hoping you guys will help me. Is there a way to flash older bios (7A39v2L)? Does 7A39v2NQ(Beta) even supports ryzen 3 2200g as I heard some motherboards dropped support for first gen ryzen to support third gen? And the worst possible outcome for me - is the motherboard dead?

My pc specs are:
msi b350m gaming pro
amd ryzen 3 2200g with vega 8
2x4GB Gskill ripjaws V ram 3000MHz (OCed to 3200)
msi rx 580 gaming x 8GB
500W psu
1TB Hdd

I believe when you updated to the Ryzen 3000 BIOS you removed support for your 2200G processor. MSI had to drop support for the earlier chips on earlier AM4 boards because the newer BIOS wouldn't fit, so they dropped support for many older ones to make it fit. The thing is, MSI doesn't say much about which CPU's are being dropped for that board so it's hard to say for sure.

I believe you'd need a Ryzen 3000 CPU to roll back an earlier BIOS version.

But the worse case scenario is it was a bad update and the BIOS will need updating by a tech with equipment. That would probably be more costly than just buying a new B450 MAX board that comes with Ryzen 3000 support out of the box.

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
I believe when you updated to the Ryzen 3000 BIOS you removed support for your 2200G processor. ...
I believe you'd need a Ryzen 3000 CPU to roll back an earlier BIOS version.
I agree with the "removed support for 2200G" part, but just about any regular Ryzen CPU (paired with a discrete graphics card) should be supported. It's the APU support that's been removed.

Looking closer at MSI's documentation I agree with Drea that it doesn't even state that support for any APU/CPU has been removed.
The compatibility list just show the first BIOS version supporting each CPU.
For the new Matisse CPUs the N-version of BIOS is required, but only NQ, which is the Beta of N, is available for that motherboard.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020
Thanks for replying guys. I ordered Gigabyte Aorus b450 M motherboard as a found a good deal on it. It should arrive soon. Good thing is that is supports ryzen 3 2200g out of the box and a latest ryzen 3000 compatible bios update should work with 2200g too (still need to confirm this). Bad thing is that I will have to wait a little longer before I can buy ryzen 5 3600.
I'm not sure if my msi b350m gaming pro is bricked or not so I will keep it in box for a while and give it to my friend to try it out once he builds ryzen 3000 system.
Thanks again. Cheers!

Thanks for replying guys. I ordered Gigabyte Aorus b450 M motherboard as a found a good deal on it. It should arrive soon. Good thing is that is supports ryzen 3 2200g out of the box and a latest ryzen 3000 compatible bios update should work with 2200g too (still need to confirm this)...
Even if it should work with a 2200g there's no good reason to tempt fate by updating to a Ryzen 3000 BIOS until you have the 3600 in hand. I'd update no further than the latest pre-Matisse BIOS which has all optimizations for Ryzen 2000 and 1000 CPU's and APU's in place.

Reactions: maciclazar
Jan 7, 2020
Even if it should work with a 2200g there's no good reason to tempt fate by updating to a Ryzen 3000 BIOS until you have the 3600 in hand. I'd update no further than the latest pre-Matisse BIOS which has all optimizations for Ryzen 2000 and 1000 CPU's and APU's in place.
Ok, thanks. I'll listen to your advice and update to bios F31, then I'll update it later to newer one once I get r5 3600.

May 24, 2020
The information in this thread is incorrect. The MSI beta bios for B350m does indeed support 2xxx series including 2200g. Source: https://www.msi.com/blog/the-latest-bios-for-amd-300-400-series-motherboard
You probably updated the bios in game boost mode which MSI explicitly warned against.
luckily, it’s easy to fix. Disconnect the power from your computer, reset your CMOS which can be done by unplugging the CMOS battery and unplug and plug back your RAM.
this will reset bios settings and your computer should boot fine after that.
I had the same problem and these steps fixed it for me.
hopefully this info can help anyone else with the same issue.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020
The information is this thread is incorrect. The MSI beta bios for B350m does indeed support 2xxx series including 2200g. Source: https://www.msi.com/blog/the-latest-bios-for-amd-300-400-series-motherboard
You probably updated the bios in game boost mode which MSI explicitly warned against.
luckily, it’s easy to fix. Disconnect the power from your computer, reset your CMOS which can be done by unplugging the CMOS battery and unplug and plug back your RAM.
this will reset bios settings and your computer should boot fine after that.
I had the same problem and these steps fixed it for me.
hopefully this info can help anyone else with the same issue.
Thanks for your reply. I ended up buying a gigabyte aorus b450 m. Got it for a really cheap price. My old msi b350m ended up in a drawer. I still have no idea if I should sell it as non functional or throw it away. Anyway I remember I didn't use game mode at all. Only thing I did in bios was to set xmp profile for ram and set cpu fan curve (as xmp raises cpu fan speed so I reverted it back to default) . I probably won't bother testing it again, maybe I'll give it to my friend to test once he decides to buy ryzen cpu.