[SOLVED] MSI B350M Mortar M.2 PCI 3.0 NVMe x4

ajirebardyn

Honorable
Apr 2, 2015
Hey guys, I'm curious if my quite old MoBo will be good enough for Corsair 960GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Force Series MP510 with interface M.2 PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4? I suppose I can pair it with this MSI, but what about performance? It is possible to reach maximum of it?

Solution
Hey guys, I'm curious if my quite old MoBo will be good enough for Corsair 960GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Force Series MP510 with interface M.2 PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4? I suppose I can pair it with this MSI, but what about performance? It is possible to reach maximum of it?
I have a B350M Mortar paired with a Samsung 960 EVO NVME on the M.2 socket. It works up to maximum transfer speeds as measured with Crystal DiskMark. But you really only see that kind of performance on synthetic benchmarks like Crystal. In real-world useage, serial reads are never long enough to really need that kind of transfer speed. But if you do a lot of copying of huge files it's really great.

The only bad thing is it's mounted underneath the GPU which exhausts it's...
I have a B350M Mortar paired with a Samsung 960 EVO NVME on the M.2 socket. It works up to maximum transfer speeds as measured with Crystal DiskMark. But you really only see that kind of performance on synthetic benchmarks like Crystal. In real-world useage, serial reads are never long enough to really need that kind of transfer speed. But if you do a lot of copying of huge files it's really great.

The only bad thing is it's mounted underneath the GPU which exhausts it's hot air on it. So if the GPU is working hard, the drive gets hot and then slows down. But newer NVME's, as I understand, are less susceptible to overheating so maybe yours will be a bit different.

Solution