[SOLVED] MSI B350M - SummitRidge CPU BIOS Update

Apr 7, 2020
Afternoon all,

First up, i want to state i am an absolute beginner when it comes to PC upgrading/building and as such know very, very little about computing so please indulge me.

My current rig has a MSI B350M GAMING PRO MB with a AMD RYZEN 5 1500X processor. I want to upgrade to a Ryzen 5 2600x but i understand i will need to do a bios update because it is a pre Feb 18 mobo.

I have read the very helpful article outlined below:

To update bios, you need a SummitRidge CPU: plug it in the mobo, start, enter in bios setup and update the bios. After that, your mobo will then work with your 2600X.

Once you will have find the required CPU, use M-Flash to update the bios:
- Get >>V2.F0 (2018-03-20, last retailed)<<.
  • Unzip "E7A39AMS.2F0" file and copy it at the root of a FAT32 USB key having no more than 16GB.
  • Enter in bios setup, then press <F6> (reset to optimized defaults), change nothing in bios, then press <F10>.
  • Enter again in bios setup at pc restart.
  • Insert the USB key in one USB 2.0 port (those below the PS/2).
  • Choose M-Flash button and you will be helped by the computer for the next.
After that, you will be able to build your new pc with your Ryzen 2400G.

and my question is:

Is my current CPU (Ryzen 5 1500x) a summitridge and therefore i dont need to get a loan from AMD to do this bios update?

Cheers for any help you can provide?

Is my current CPU (Ryzen 5 1500x) a summitridge and therefore i dont need to get a loan from AMD to do this bios update?
You can do the BIOS update with the 1500X processor so you don't need to get a loaner from AMD.

BIOS support for 2200G processor started with BIOS 7A39v2F, but I'd suggest going up to 7A39v2J, v2K or v2L. With rev 2.J you start getting AGESA 1.0.0.6 which provided much better memory support. Avoid 7A39v2NQ(BETA) because it's really for Ryzen 3000, offers nothing new for 2200G's and has an ugly user interface.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2020
You can do the BIOS update with the 1500X processor so you don't need to get a loaner from AMD.

BIOS support for 2200G processor started with BIOS 7A39v2F, but I'd suggest going up to 7A39v2J, v2K or v2L. With rev 2.J you start getting AGESA 1.0.0.6 which provided much better memory support. Avoid 7A39v2NQ(BETA) because it's really for Ryzen 3000, offers nothing new for 2200G's and has an ugly user interface.

Drea.Dreschler - Really appreciate the extra direction.

Another really bone question now: i am currently on American Megatrends Bios version 2.J0 dated 6/11/18.

Is that the same as rev 2.j you speak about with AGESA 1.0.0.6? And therefore i don't need to run a BIOS update?

cheers for humouring me!

Drea.Dreschler - Really appreciate the extra direction.

Another really bone question now: i am currently on American Megatrends Bios version 2.J0 dated 6/11/18.

Is that the same as rev 2.j you speak about with AGESA 1.0.0.6? And therefore i don't need to run a BIOS update?

cheers for humouring me!
I do think you are set unless you want to keep up to the latest, which would be 2.L0. It's not an AGESA update, just some tweaks based on MSI's notes. In fact, only if the release notes for either 2.K0 or 2.L0 speak directly to an issue you're having (or an MSI support tech advises you to) it's better not to risk it.