MSI B350M won't let me change any settings in bios

Jacobr48

Reputable
Jan 3, 2015
Just got a new computer. Chip is the 1600x
Have been trying to change ram frequency and overclock to processor.
Everytime I try it won't restart so I have to reset the CMOS which is behind the GPU so it is a pain.
Any idea on why nothing will work>

Solution
This is a problem with Ryzen and going with a new architecture. There will be growing pains, but it is a really good chip. Here is a video that may help you out with the OC of the RAM, but you may just have to wait till AMD solves the issue or return your RAM and get a different brand. You have really good RAM, but the chip does not like the mobo/ram combo. I would try G Skill series IV, or another major brand as AMD will focus on the larger brands for compatibility first.
Sounds like an unstable overclock. Overclock one at a time. Get a stable clock on your CPU, before you try to OC the RAM because you don't know which one is overclocked. Ryzen has also had issues with RAM compatibility and overclocking, so you may want to check if your RAM is compatible. But for the most part, AMD has cleaned up a lot of those issues.

As I read your question again I may have misunderstood what you are asking. Are you able to get the PC to post and change settings in the bios? Or is the bios frozen and you have not made any changes? What happens when you clear the CMOS? Does everything work then? If it does, then you have an unstable overclock. If your PC wont post, then your RAM would be a prime suspect.

Jacobr48

Reputable
Jan 3, 2015

I go into my BIOS and try to change my ram speeds and then when I restart it, the computer wont post. Then I have to reset the CMOS to get it to post

Jacobr48

Reputable
Jan 3, 2015

I am using corsair LPX 3000mhz ram which I thought I read was good to go with ryzen

The MSI B350 has had 7 bios updates and 3 of them are related to memory compatibility. Hopefully this will fix your issue. Ryzen has had issues with memory compatibility, but has also had issues of getting the system to run properly with higher speed RAM. Unfortunately, they higher speed RAM is important to Ryzen's performance. If the bios update does not solve your issue, you may just have to use the lower speeds until there is a bios update that will allow you to run the RAM at higher speeds.

Jacobr48

Reputable
Jan 3, 2015

Nope, I ran the flash and they newest firmware was already installed, Any other ideas? I just got it to boot running at 2400mhz vs the 2133

This is a problem with Ryzen and going with a new architecture. There will be growing pains, but it is a really good chip. Here is a video that may help you out with the OC of the RAM, but you may just have to wait till AMD solves the issue or return your RAM and get a different brand. You have really good RAM, but the chip does not like the mobo/ram combo. I would try G Skill series IV, or another major brand as AMD will focus on the larger brands for compatibility first.

Solution