[SOLVED] MSI B360 Gaming Plus with Intel Core i3-9100F

Jun 6, 2019
Hello everyone.

So I'm currently on a 4th gen motherboard and CPU along with DDR3 RAM. I'm on quite a tight budget and want to upgrade to an MSI B360 Gaming Plus with an Intel Core i3-9100F. I've already got the RAM sorted out and I'm very happy with the motherboard but I've read about some compatibility issues with 9th gen processors and these MSI motherboards. I've done some research and I can't find any 8th gen CPUs with a similar price.

So my question is, should I go with this pair and give it a shot, or try and find a similar motherboard? Or has anyone tested a motherboard like this with a 9th Gen CPU and had success? I don't have any 8th gen CPUs lying around to update the BIOS obviously (which is what PCPartPicker suggested).

Or should I try and find a 6/7th gen Mobo+CPU combo? Will there be much of a difference in performance?

Thanks.

Oh I see, thank you. Do you know any stores in Australia that do BIOS upgrades? Is it a common thing? I know Umart does it but they don't sell this motherboard.

Do you already have the motherboard on hand? Does this motherboard support usb BIOS flashing? If so, you might be able to update the BIOS yourself.

If you haven't already bought your motherboard and processors, have you considered the R3 3200g? Its slightly more expensive in Australia (I think 11 aus $ more), but comes with a cooler, has an iGPU built in, is completely unlocked, and uses motherboards that support future upgrades. It also performs similarly in most cases to the i3-9100f.

Jun 6, 2019
Do you already have the motherboard on hand? Does this motherboard support usb BIOS flashing? If so, you might be able to update the BIOS yourself.

If you haven't already bought your motherboard and processors, have you considered the R3 3200g? Its slightly more expensive in Australia (I think 11 aus $ more), but comes with a cooler, has an iGPU built in, is completely unlocked, and uses motherboards that support future upgrades. It also performs similarly in most cases to the i3-9100f.
I haven't bought anything yet thankfully, and yes I was actually seriously considering that exact Ryzen but all the motherboards supported were minimum $250 which is way out of my $300 give or take $30 budget, discluding the RAM.

And no I don't think it has USB flashing, but even if it did, I wouldn't take the risk, unless it is surprisingly easy.

I haven't bought anything yet thankfully, and yes I was actually seriously considering that exact Ryzen but all the motherboards supported were minimum $250 which is way out of my $300 give or take $30 budget, discluding the RAM.

And no I don't think it has USB flashing, but even if it did, I wouldn't take the risk, unless it is surprisingly easy.
I see, maybe reach out to Umart and see if they can help flash your motherboard if you bring it to them or something like that. Perhaps they'll help out?