Question MSI B365M Mortar doesn't post (Stable red CPU EZ Debug LED), "gets power", missing SMD capacitor

Jun 4, 2022
This one is a doozy, so get ready.

I recently got myself a used CPU, motherboard, and RAM combo. An i5-9400f, MSI B365M Mortar, and some generic SK Hynix 2x8GB RAM sticks to be specific. I assembled everything with my GPU, and power supply, pressed the power button, and got nothing. No spinning fans on the PC or the power supply; even the EZ Debug lights wouldn't light up to indicate anything,

Even after completely baring the motherboard of all components, I couldn't get any sign of life. After more troubleshooting I realized that the CPU had an SMD capacitor missing from the underside of it, but from what I've heard, that shouldn't be a massive issue and the PC should still post. After some fiddling around, I found a capacitor around my building area, but it wasn't from the CPU, but the motherboard, the underside of the chipset to be specific.

I'm not sure about the importance of that capacitor, but there might be some link with the PC not responding at all. I tried some weird stuff like putting the CPU 24-pin in and then shorting the pins used to turn the PSU on, which finally gave some life to the PC (never shorted the power switch of the mobo) when all the fans and lights started running, but I still wouldn't get a display, and the EZ debug CPU LED would stay at a stable Red color. This behavior persists whenever I turn on the PSU, without touching the PC power switch. After that, I've tried everything including clearing and removing CMOS, reseating CPU, RAM, GPU, power cables to no update on the situation. The LED stays Red and I get no display.

I have no clue what to do now, but my guess is that either the CPU is dead or the motherboard, the latter making more sense. I've attached some pictures of the broken capacitor spaces I mentioned.

Any type of help would be appreciated.

Images for the capacitorr, CPU, and motherboard: View: https://imgur.com/a/B1Oa4tq

Lutfij

Titan
An i5-9400f, MSI B365M Mortar, and some generic SK Hynix 2x8GB RAM sticks to be specific.
These are what you got later, what were the specs to your build before these parts? As for your processor, you have an F suffix processor meaning it lacks an iGPU so if you don't have a discrete GPU, regardless of what you do, you won't get any display out from the motherboard.

Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
including the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model.

Looking at the images, it seems like that component has been ripped out from the trace level. That repair is going to need a very steady pair of hands and a high powered magnifying glass.

Jun 4, 2022
An i5-9400f, MSI B365M Mortar, and some generic SK Hynix 2x8GB RAM sticks to be specific.
These are what you got later, what were the specs to your build before these parts? As for your processor, you have an F suffix processor meaning it lacks an iGPU so if you don't have a discrete GPU, regardless of what you do, you won't get any display out from the motherboard.

Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
including the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model.

Looking at the images, it seems like that component has been ripped out from the trace level. That repair is going to need a very steady pair of hands and a high powered magnifying glass.

These are all parts I bought used from someone, so I didn't have anything before this. Also, I tried connecting my GPU in but it didn't change anything. I'm getting no signs of life from the PC no matter what I do.

CPU: i5-9400f
CPU cooler: Cooler Master H412r
Motherboard: MSI B365M Mortar
Ram: 1x8GB 2133MHz, 1x8GB 2300MHz
SSD/HDD: LiteOn M.2 SATA 128GB
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1650 Super MSI Gaming X
PSU: Corsair TX750M (bought used but I know it works, got it checked and checked pins myself too)
Chassis: Generic Mesh Front Case
Monitor: Generic Samsung monitor

I just want to know if the capacitor that has been ripped off is the source of all the problems or it's something else.

Lutfij

Titan
This loadout looks odd.

I just want to know if the capacitor that has been ripped off is the source of all the problems or it's something else.
Did you verify that the system was working prior to the component being ripped off it's traces? If so, then yeah maybe that component was necessary, maybe it's even causing a short.

Jun 4, 2022
This loadout looks odd.

Did you verify that the system was working prior to the component being ripped off it's traces? If so, then yeah maybe that component was necessary, maybe it's even causing a short.
I've tried one of each RAM sticks and it still doesn't work.

I bought the setup used so I can't really know if it worked before being sold, since I have no proper proof from the seller.