[SOLVED] MSI B450 Extreme System (not CPU) Temps - New Build

Feb 18, 2019
Hi Just putting together a new p.c. Assembled without issue and powered up but when I entered the BIOS settings (prior to installing windows) I noticed that the SYSTEM temp reading was rocketing to 85c plus (and shutting down as a consequence) To be clear the CPU temp was fine (sat at 24c/25c) just the SYSTEM temp, no part of the MB appears to be hot (none of the heatsinks, ssd, etc etc) and whilst I monitor the temps before shutdown the fans respond as the temp increases in response to the System temp so the fans seem fine. I have tried re-seating components and using different fan headers but no joy. Can anyone help :)

MSI B450 Tomahawk

Ryzen 5 2600

8gb Corsair Vengence DDR4

Kingston M.2 NVME 240GB

Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm

Gigabyte GTX 1050

Coolermaster Masterliquid ML240L RGB

Phanteks P350X

1 x Standard Phanteks 120mm Fan (to rear)

Coolermaster Masterwatt 750 PSU

Solution
Maybe it is hot. A cool radiator may be a sign of missing pads, poor contact thus not transferring heat while the part underneath the heat-sink is toasting.
So best guess is to find some info about where exactly this sys temperature is measured from. It could be from the chipset/NB, VRM, or in the cpu socket itself. Then investigate their heat-sink mountings and thermal contact.
I doubt the wattage is increased abnormally so poor cooling somewhere might be the reason
Or bad sensor/ bad software version that leads to miscalibration of that actual sensor - do a bios update just in case.

Azzyasi

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
Maybe it is hot. A cool radiator may be a sign of missing pads, poor contact thus not transferring heat while the part underneath the heat-sink is toasting.
So best guess is to find some info about where exactly this sys temperature is measured from. It could be from the chipset/NB, VRM, or in the cpu socket itself. Then investigate their heat-sink mountings and thermal contact.
I doubt the wattage is increased abnormally so poor cooling somewhere might be the reason
Or bad sensor/ bad software version that leads to miscalibration of that actual sensor - do a bios update just in case.

Solution