Question MSI B450 Gaming Plus OC ram

kingbowcat

Reputable
Oct 9, 2019
Just a simple question.

I have 16 gb (2x8) of 2400 ram for my Ryzen 2600x. With this MOBO what will I be able to overclock this ram to? As I believe these Ryzen processors work better with higher speed ram. As my rig stutters sometimes on games. Below is what I have for compatibility issues (most of it was a prebuild but I upgrade PSU and SSD GPU hopefully MOBO too :)))

AMD Ryzen 5 2600x
RX5700XT
Team T253LE240g 240gb SSD
Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD
2x 16gb DIMM DDR4 @2400
GA-A320M-S2H-CF Motherboard
EVGA 650w QG semi modular
A320 mobo with fan splitter

Thanks

Alex

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
With this MOBO what will I be able to overclock this ram to?
Technically the board on pinnacle ridge can go up to 3466 MHz RAM support. However you only have 2400 RAM.

The idea usually would be that you buy say 3200MHz rated RAM. Then overclock it to 3200 (using XMP/DOCP) as this is it's rated/tested speed.

You only have 2400 RAM, so technically it's a gamble as to how well you will be able to overclock it as you are taking it out of rated speeds. Which is certainly possible, but there is no solid answer to this, as you'll only be able to test and try yourself. It may overclock, it may not overclock at all - here is a general guide you might want to consider:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ram-overclocking-guide,4693-3.html

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Technically the motherboard will always be a factor, as it's the system as a whole in unison that allows you to perform these tasks/overclocks. Any one part of that system doesn't like it, and it may not overclock to the same degree. Not everyone with the same RAM will be able to achieve the same results they have, but some might.

You can always try, just be wary of the potential risks as you are taking the RAM outside of manufacturers specification :)

kingbowcat

Reputable
Oct 9, 2019
Technically the motherboard will always be a factor, as it's the system as a whole in unison that allows you to perform these tasks/overclocks. Any one part of that system doesn't like it, and it may not overclock to the same degree. Not everyone with the same RAM will be able to achieve the same results they have, but some might.

You can always try, just be wary of the potential risks as you are taking the RAM outside of manufacturers specification :)

I have tried OC it and got it to 3000 from 2400.. Didn't even realise my mobo allowed for it but apparently it does :) I made a thread about it already 3200 is the limit but I don't want to push it haha.