Question MSI B450 GAMING PLUS or MSI B450 TOMAHAWK

Mar 12, 2019
which one would be better?
im pairing it up with my gtx980 and ryzen 5 2600.
are these two boards good and future proof??

Do you like the red color theme of the Gaming Plus? or the USB 3.1 Ty. C port on the Tomahawk?

Personally, I find the Gaming Plus colors to be garish. I'd go for the Tomahawk.

VRM designs are essentially the same. Maybe Tomahawk tips the scales favorably with a SLIGHTLY more massive heatsink but they should both perform similarly overclocking a 2600...which is to say be very good doing so. That more massive heatsink would only come into play, if it comes into play at all, overclocking an 8 core for long duration encoding or rendering tasks.

Either one will be equally capable for Ryzen 3000, when it arrives. If it matters you could look carefully at the arrangement of PCIe slots to see which might weigh more heavily in your favor. But that's horribly nit-picky, don't you think?

Last edited:
Reactions: Milo G
Have you been able to find any info on the VRM config for the B450(M) Gaming Plus? I can't find any details on the topology or parts used anywhere.

All I know is reports from some owners who've looked at theirs and are saying it's the same FET arrangement...which is to say 4 FET's per each of the 4 VCore phases. MSI must buy those FET's like popcorn (by the grain silo full). With that information and the obvious massive size and fin structure on it's VCore heatsink I'd say MSI is highly unlikely to have changed the design from the rest of their B450 lineup.

It's unfortunate I've not been able to find any 'hardcore' reviews of that board though. I fear the Tomahawk is going to go the way of the B450M Mortar here in the US.