Question MSI b450 gaming plus Vs. MSI 450 tomahawk Vs. MSI gaming plus X470

Apr 18, 2019
Trying to figure out what Mobo would be best for my build??
Going with 2600x & power color Vega 56
Planning to have the builder under volt and OC to maybe 4ghz?
And can’t decide between MSI 450, 470 or the tomahawk or any suggestions??
Never built a pc before just trying to figure out the last piece of the puzzle...
Here’s my parts list so far...

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/bige231/saved/yJf7TW

Last edited:
Trying to figure out what Mobo would be best for my build??
Going with 2600x & power color Vega 56
Planning to have the builder under volt and OC to maybe 4ghz?
And can’t decide between MSI 450, 470 or the tomahawk or any suggestions??
Never built a pc before just trying to figure out the last piece of the puzzle...
Here’s my parts list so far...

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/bige231/saved/yJf7TW
Since you can overclock with either x470 or b450 the primary benefit of x470 is that it has more PCIe lanes available. That allows an x470 board to offer more PCIe slots with higher bandwidth and more M.2 sockets and more SATA ports. And you can use them simultaneously as they don't get used up when you plug devices in elsewhere.

But the thing the Asus ROG X470 Strix offers aside from the usual x470 is it is suitable for extreme overclocking. So extreme I'd not want to do it for 24/7 everyday use as CPU life can be seriously degraded. And you'd absolutely need some seriously good aftermarket CPU cooling which you don't have in your parts-pick. It also does have some nicer features, like a top-line 8 channel audio codec.

If you don't have a huge number of drives or a lot of high-bandwidth add-in cards you'll get along pretty well with a B450 board like the Tomahawk as a 4.0G overclock is quite mild even for it. But if you have a hankering to see how extreme you can push the overclock on your 2600 that X470 ROG is your board.

R_K

Honorable
Jul 22, 2014
Not to sound dumb but why you suggest that? It’s nearly double the price
Bcoz I have using MSI B450 Tomahawk with Ryzen 2600 .. and I am facing issues the machine is not starting .. turns on and off ..
I thought it maybe PSU, but no its ok
Now by testing every other components indivually I narrowed it down to either the Mobo or CPU thats gone and it's been only 5 months..
Will let you know which one, which ever it may be if the Motherboard would have been good I would not have faced this issue.
Btw I was also running this OC @3.9ghz
With plenty of airflow.

TRENDING THREADS