Question MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC BIOS

Tigeracer

Reputable
Dec 9, 2015
Hi,

I have just built a new PC, from new and second hand parts.

The New parts are:

Ryzen 5 2600 (bought brand new from Facebook Market)
MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC (Centrecom)
Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3000MHz (Centrecom)
Samsung 860 Evo 500GB (Centrecom)
2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM
Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 650W (Centrecom)

Second hand parts are:

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX (Facebook Market)
Geforce GTX 1080 (Facebook Market)

Listing all the parts in case there is some compatibility clash I am unaware of.

Since building the PC, I have had so many blue screens and freezes that it's not funny. I've been able to update all of the drivers now and have been using the PC for a couple of hours now without a crash, but I'm not holding my breath that it won't happen again.

My question is this:

My current BIOS version is 1.3, but on the MSI website, the compatibility BIOS version is version 10. Do you think that flashing the BIOS to this version would help, or is the risk not worth it?
Also, the latest version of the BIOS is version 16, but it's basically just a compatibility for the upcoming processors. If flashing the BIOS is recommended, should I flash to version 10 or 16? Will version 16 cover everything from previous versions, or is more specific to the new processors?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Tigeracer

Reputable
Dec 9, 2015
new setup? update to the latest.
if it brick it, can get warranty work on it

I have flashed the BIOS and now the PC is crashing more often.

When I restart the PC, it will either turn on, but no display will come on (in this situation, the ez debug light for the CPU will turn on) or it will crash while windows is trying to load (in this situation, the ez debug light for the RAM or VGA will turn on).

I switched out my Samsung 860 Evo 500GB for my old ADATA SP550 120GB (from my old PC) and so far it seems to be working fine. I will update if anything changes.

My problem now is I have no idea what is going on. My motherboard is telling me that the CPU, RAM or VGA (graphics card) are the problem, but switching out the SSD works (so far). The fact that it works with another SSD also raises another issue. Is the problem the 860 Evo, or the version of Windows?

Is anyone able to help me out with what to do next?

Tigeracer

Reputable
Dec 9, 2015
download and install the latest chipset driver?
ram running at 3000MHz ?

I have the latest chipset driver, but ram only goes up to 2933mhz with axmp profile.

At the moment, I can't even get to the windows start up. Windows keeps trying to repair itself, but says it can't repair the problem.

Most times I can still get to the bios setup, so that's a plus.

Tigeracer

Reputable
Dec 9, 2015
So, I wrote down some of the different stop codes I have received:

Ntfs.sys
Attempted to write read only file
System service exception

I have looked these up, but it seems like freshly installing windows is the only fix. Unfortunately, I have done this multiple times.

Tigeracer

Reputable
Dec 9, 2015
download and install the latest chipset driver?
ram running at 3000MHz ?

Just ran the windows memory diagnostic tool and it said that there are hardware problems detected. I'm going to try reseating the CPU and cooler, but I have to wait until tomorrow night to get some thermal paste.

Thanks for all your help so far.