Question MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC - Solid red VGA light

May 12, 2020
  • Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC
  • CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
  • GPU: MSI Radeon RX 5700 GAMING X
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200Mhz
  • PSU: Corsair RM650x
I recently built a system and it was working fine. I now cannot post and receive a black screen with a solid red VGA light on the motherboard.

I have:
  • Ensured the BIOS was up to date.
  • Removed the battery and cleared the CMOS.
  • Tried another GPU and the same issue occurs.
  • Tried using 1 RAM stick.
  • Disassembled to system and rebuilt it and the issue re-occurs.
It doesn't seem to be an issue with the CPU or RAM as it passes the checks at the beginning according to the EZ Debug lights.

I then took the GPU and PSU and assembled it in to another system and everything is running fine.
Through process of elimination, I believe it to be an issue with the motherboard itself?

Any ideas?

Jul 22, 2020
  • Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC
  • CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
  • GPU: MSI Radeon RX 5700 GAMING X
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200Mhz
  • PSU: Corsair RM650x
I recently built a system and it was working fine. I now cannot post and receive a black screen with a solid red VGA light on the motherboard.

I have:
  • Ensured the BIOS was up to date.
  • Removed the battery and cleared the CMOS.
  • Tried another GPU and the same issue occurs.
  • Tried using 1 RAM stick.
  • Disassembled to system and rebuilt it and the issue re-occurs.
It doesn't seem to be an issue with the CPU or RAM as it passes the checks at the beginning according to the EZ Debug lights.

I then took the GPU and PSU and assembled it in to another system and everything is running fine.
Through process of elimination, I believe it to be an issue with the motherboard itself?

Any ideas?
Did you ever figure this out? I have a very similar build, and the same issue.

Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 X
GPU: EVGA 1070ti SC Black
RAM: crucial ballistix sport lt 3200Mhz
PSU: Corsair RM850x

I just had my CPU replaced with a brand new one, due to random Bluescreens, the only thing that fixed it was locking the CPU multi to base.

Had about 5 days on the new CPU no issues. Still had ram at 2400 for testing purposes.

Restarted for a Malwarebytes update, and then it refused to post literally out of nowhere.

Tried basically all the same things, I also took my build apart and swapped my old 2500k build in with the same GPU.

To my surprise it worked perfectly fine, so that rules the GPU out in my book. So it could literally only be the Mobo or ram, because brand new CPU.

And just like you the CPU and RAM lights always go off then it gets stuck on VGA.

I contacted msi and they were completely useless.

The only "solution" they suggested was plugging in the redundant 4 pin CPU. Which unsurprisingly did nothing.

They offered to have ME pay to ship their crappy motherboard back so I can wait 30 BUSINESS days for a replacement.

So I order a brand new b550 Mobo form a GOOD brand (Aurorus), so I hope that fixes the problem.

If you do have any insight, I would be curious. I assume you ended up replacing the Mobo, because there doesn't seem to be another option.