[SOLVED] MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC..trying to updates to latest bios 7B85v1F1, but whatever I do, M-FLASH in Bios does not recognize it.

sw3000

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
Hi All,
So I guess I should give my system specs first: AMD Ryzen 3700x @4.2ghz, 16gb Ram 3600mhz, RTX 2060 Super Fe, and B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC. Couldn't be happier with my system and performance.

Just last night, I saw the MSI has an updated BIOS version..the 1st one since June of 2020 (which is what I have) to the latest one (7B85v1F1 )AMD AGESA ComboAm4v2PI 1.1.0.0 Patch D , released 12/22/2020.

So I download it, do the extraction to the root directory of my thumb drive(s)...(I've tried all the one's I have) and when I go into M-FLASH to flash the BIOS, it's not finding it. Yes, I formatted my thumb drives (I have about 3 for this purpose) to FAT32 default...extract the files to the root directory...and after several ties, the M-Flash does not recognize or find the file. I even followed a step-by-step tutorial and still no luck to update to the latest BIOS. I WILL point out though that this latest version is classified as BETA. Could that be the culprit?

WHAT I AM DOING WRONG? CAN SOMEONE HELP?!

Thank you

Last edited:
Solution
wait and see if they change it this/next year (depends where you are - its 10am on 1/1/21 right here) as they could do more work on it after holiday period is over.

Overclock could be messing with bios when you go to flash it. I am not sure but maybe. Set it to defaults if/when you update next time.
My PC feels fast enough now without need for over clocking it. It can already boost to 4.6 if need be, and it doesn't feel slow even when idling at 1ghz. I have a 3600xt at stock , its still faster than my previous PC so that is all I wanted.

sw3000

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
is there anything wrong with PC now? its not always a good idea to update bios just because there is a new one.

It can cause problems you didn't have already. Let it come out of Beta at least.
Hi Colif..mycomputer performs flawlessly. I guess my idea for updating the BIOS was due to the description MSI gives...basically increasing the lack of MOBO to GPU latency,therefore increasing (by their deifinition) gaming performance...described this way by MSI: "Support Re-size BAR function to enhance GPU performance". Will probably wait after the BETA version...though still don't understand what's going on in flashing the new BIOS in the first place

Colif

Win 11 Master
Support Re-size BAR function to enhance GPU performance.
I don't know if BAR applies to Nvidia cards, I think its just AMD cards. I know Nvidia is making their own version but I bet AMD haven't expanded their support to Nvidia cards.
Not sure if 3000 series CPU can use it either yet. It might be motherboard by motherboard, I haven't seen anything on mine yet. I don't have an AMD gpu anyway.

I can't see anything about the bios not working for others

i assume you watched this

are you overclocked? maybe try without the overclock

Last edited:
Reactions: sw3000

sw3000

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
Yes, I am overclocked. In BIOS, it's set to "game mode" which overclocks the CPU to 4.2ghz. RAM is set to XMP profile (Corsair Vengeance 16gb) to 3600mhz. These are the "lazy" overclocks (lol) that beyond my enthusiasts knowledge I will go no further, because I am very satisfied with the overall performance. But BIOS updates intrigue me. If this comes down to me not copying the updated BIOS correctly to the root directory of the thumb drive (thanks for the video) then I will be utterly embarressed, considering I built this $,1500 system myself! Thanks for the feedback Colif!

Colif

Win 11 Master
wait and see if they change it this/next year (depends where you are - its 10am on 1/1/21 right here) as they could do more work on it after holiday period is over.

Overclock could be messing with bios when you go to flash it. I am not sure but maybe. Set it to defaults if/when you update next time.
My PC feels fast enough now without need for over clocking it. It can already boost to 4.6 if need be, and it doesn't feel slow even when idling at 1ghz. I have a 3600xt at stock , its still faster than my previous PC so that is all I wanted.

Reactions: sw3000
Solution

sw3000

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
Before I resolve the thread, Colif: yeah, automatically the BIOS will reset itself to default prior to a flash/update. What's interesting, is now (checking on CPUID-CPUZ) that the frequency is not the stable 4.2ghz all core...it jumps from below to above that with this new BIOS. While I'm not really concerned with this in terms of performance, I do find it interesting...a change that wasn't there prior to updating the BIOS to this latest version. I would be curious of any other MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC or any other B450 equivalent boards are experiencing this. Not bothered, but curious. Thanks

Colif

Win 11 Master
have you set the game mode back up again?
as the bios will be at defaults after the flash.

my cpu isn't oc but its constantly spiking to 53 and dropping again, its just how ryzen is when its not oc. Every time it needs to wake a core to do something it spikes up and then drops again, speed is likely also doing it as I only really track temps, and its hard to tell when 12 threads are all changing speeds every 500ms in HWINFO - the temp rise doesn't seem to exactly match core speed rises, it is actually more stable. My AIO is obviously helping.

sw3000

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
OK.....so, here's what happened last night: after this new BIOS, I decided to boot one of my favorite game titles Gears 5. Mind you the dip and spikes in frequency thing was still going on (even though I had applied XMP profile for RAM, and "Game Mode" in BIOS). So, I noticed that in Gears 5, the audio was dipping out several seconds at a time. For me, that was a "red flag" and I have since reverted to the previous BIOS version, and now everything is stable, running as before. My conclusion: the latest BIOS is a beta version, and I think is suited for the new 5000 series AMD CPU's. I am planning to get a 5800xt later on this year...when prices come down. And by some miracle, I want to get a RTX 3070 GPU..specifically the EVGA FTW RTX 3070. SO....I just think I'll leave it here for now. Thanks to Cotif for feedback...perhaps again this info is helpful to any other B450/3000 series AMD enthusiasts.