Question MSI B450 PRO-M2 V2 doesn't recognize NVMe drive

May 4, 2023
Hello! I recently bought a Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 drive, to replace my old HP S700 SATA drive. However, the motherboard doesn't recognize it at all in the BIOS. The summary simply says "M2_1 Not Present".

After checking this forum for a similar issue, I tried the following:
- Updated the BIOS to the latest firmware (7B84v4E),
- Removed the two SATA mechanical drives I also had installed,
- Modified the BIOS to SATA Configuration AHCI, BIOS to UEFI Mode, and disabled Secure Boot.

Nothing seems to work, even though this response says that the motherboard indeed supports NVMe drives: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/ssd-support-for-msi-b450m-pro-m2-v2.3513025/post-21225314

My biggest issue is that I cannot return the drive. Bought in on BestBuy and am currently in a wholly different country, so I'm truly hoping it's alive, at least. Is there anyting else I can attempt? I'm running an AMD Ryzen 3 3500.

Thank you!

Last edited:
May 4, 2023
What bios version are you running on the motherboard? This bios version has update for better pcie device compatibility. 7B84v48. Try this if it applies.
I updated to 7B84v4E, which is newer than the 7B84v48 you mentioned. I did consider updating to that specific version because of the explicit PCI-E fix, but I assumed further updates would have that fix anyway.

I updated to 7B84v4E, which is newer than the 7B84v48 you mentioned. I did consider updating to that specific version because of the explicit PCI-E fix, but I assumed further updates would have that fix anyway.
Yes a higher bios update would include the lower bios pcie device update. The 970 evo plus (all models) are listed in the motherboard compatibility list so I find it strange you are having a problem. Do you have a friend that you could try your M2 on their pc to rule out a bad drive?

Reactions: vato_loco
May 4, 2023
Yes a higher bios update would include the lower bios pcie device update. The 970 evo plus (all models) are listed in the motherboard compatibility list so I find it strange you are having a problem. Do you have a friend that you could try your M2 on their pc to rule out a bad drive?
This will have to be my next step, unfortunately. I truly hope it's not the case that the drive is bad because I'm stuck in a country with no Samsung warranty for drives...

May 4, 2023
In bios under advanced look for m2 pcie storage raid support make this enabled. Also try unplugging the pc from the wall then install the m2 drive. Power on and see if anything changes.
So I found a PC and installed the drive and fortunately it worked. I say fortunately because at least I know it's alive, but the downside is that of course it doesn't work on my PC.

There is absolutely no M.2 option anywhere on my BIOS, I went inside every single screen and nothing. There IS a way to enable RAID so I'll try that but it'll be really weird if it works because I don't have 2 M.2 slots so why would RAID work. Also I have always unplugged the PC when I swapped drives, just to make sure nothing weird happens.

So I found a PC and installed the drive and fortunately it worked. I say fortunately because at least I know it's alive, but the downside is that of course it doesn't work on my PC.

There is absolutely no M.2 option anywhere on my BIOS, I went inside every single screen and nothing. There IS a way to enable RAID so I'll try that but it'll be really weird if it works because I don't have 2 M.2 slots so why would RAID work. Also I have always unplugged the PC when I swapped drives, just to make sure nothing weird happens.
So I didn't realize you only had one m2 slot. With your motherboard it should work as well as the other pc you found the m2 to work. Have you looked under storage/settings for an Nvme enabled? I am more an Asus bios expert don't really know MSI's.

TRENDING THREADS