[SOLVED] MSI B450 Tomahawk & AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Overclock recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 4, 2019
Hi there,

Tomorrow I'm building my PC with the following specs:

I'm looking to overclock the AMD Ryzen to its fullest potential with the specs listed above.

What are the best settings I can apply and recommended settings?

It must be stable please.

Reactions: DUAL33s
Solution
I'm looking to overclock the AMD Ryzen to its fullest potential with the specs listed above.

Unfortunately overclocking doesn't work like this.

You could go to the store and buy 3 Ryzen 5 2600X processors, 1 will go to 3.9, 1 to 4.1, and 1 to 4.2 due to manufacturing differences. On top of that the MSI Tomahawk, while it allows overclocking, you won't be squeezing everything out of it. Finally that PSU is AWFUL for overclocking, and known for quality issues. You are also running the stock cooler, another limiting factor. I would be surprised if you could get much of a stable overclock at all.

This is an excellent guide to do it...

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

You could go to the store and buy 3 Ryzen 5 2600X processors, 1 will go to 3.9, 1 to 4.1, and 1 to 4.2 due to manufacturing differences. On top of that the MSI Tomahawk, while it allows overclocking, you won't be squeezing everything out of it. Finally that PSU is AWFUL for overclocking, and known for quality issues. You are also running the stock cooler, another limiting factor. I would be surprised if you could get much of a stable overclock at all.

This is an excellent guide to do it yourself, this is the "best settings" which you need to determine by doing it:

https://www.tweaktown.com/guides/8703/ryzen-2000-series-overclocking-guide/index.html

Solution
Mar 4, 2019

This is an excellent guide to do it yourself, this is the "best settings" which you need to determine by doing it:

https://www.tweaktown.com/guides/8703/ryzen-2000-series-overclocking-guide/index.html
I think if I set it to 4Ghz should be good enough with the 6 cores.
I'm not sure what to set the other values to tho.

What's the best settings for the following settings:

Iy5TS6x.png

This is a downloaded image from the internet btw.

Mar 4, 2019
I have another question...
Lets say I'm playing a CPU intensive game at stock CPU settings (no overclock or anything) and the game was using the full 3.60Ghz and then would the motherboard or "Ryzen Tech" attempt to use the remaining 4.2Ghz automatically?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I think if I set it to 4Ghz should be good enough with the 6 cores.
I'm not sure what to set the other values to tho.

What's the best settings for the following settings:

This is a downloaded image from the internet btw.

There are no best settings you need to read the link I posted for you an figure it out on your own through trial and error. There is no "easy button" for overclocking especially not on lower end parts. If you're not willing to follow the very simple guide I posted than overclocking is not for you.

I've seen many people overclock with my PSU.

I've seen many people play in traffic and not get killed, doesn't mean its not a bad idea. That PSU is poor quality for overclocking, and will have issues getting the most out of your hardware. Its known for its failure rates. High failure rate doesn't mean ALL of them fail, but it does mean a lot do.

I rather get as much as I can get from the CPU though.

TBH the built in tech actually gets you probably 99% of what you'd do manually.

I have another question...
Lets say I'm playing a CPU intensive game at stock CPU settings (no overclock or anything) and the game was using the full 3.60Ghz and then would the motherboard or "Ryzen Tech" attempt to use the remaining 4.2Ghz automatically?

The CPU can boost if the game needs it to 4.2 ghz automatically assuming your motherboard and temperatures can handle it. it will not hold a sustained 4.2 ghz for the whole time playing but will boost to that as needed while playing.

Mar 4, 2019
There are no best settings you need to read the link I posted for you an figure it out on your own through trial and error. There is no "easy button" for overclocking especially not on lower end parts. If you're not willing to follow the very simple guide I posted than overclocking is not for you.

I've seen many people play in traffic and not get killed, doesn't mean its not a bad idea. That PSU is poor quality for overclocking, and will have issues getting the most out of your hardware. Its known for its failure rates. High failure rate doesn't mean ALL of them fail, but it does mean a lot do.

TBH the built in tech actually gets you probably 99% of what you'd do manually.

The CPU can boost if the game needs it to 4.2 ghz automatically assuming your motherboard and temperatures can handle it. it will not hold a sustained 4.2 ghz for the whole time playing but will boost to that as needed while playing.
Thank you for the replies.

I went through that link and I'll try it out. I understand there's no best settings I'm asking what the recommended settings are from people with past experience.

I think setting the overclock not to the best as possible will be good as I said before.
I'll set it to 3.9Ghz - 4Ghz, which would you suggest?

I like how it does that upping it to 4.2 Ghz. Right now the speed in task manager is at 3.8Ghz and then drops back down to 3.6Ghz after 30 seconds, it fluctuates.
I'm not going to do intensive gaming.

Since this is a new PC I'll not overclock it. I'll see how my games are handles and see if everything is running smooth. If so, there's no need to essentially mess around with it.
No point messing with something which is not broken :)

Thanks for the help.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Thank you for the replies.

I went through that link and I'll try it out. I understand there's no best settings I'm asking what the recommended settings are from people with past experience.

I think setting the overclock not to the best as possible will be good as I said before.
I'll set it to 3.9Ghz - 4Ghz, which would you suggest?

I like how it does that upping it to 4.2 Ghz. Right now the speed in task manager is at 3.8Ghz and then drops back down to 3.6Ghz after 30 seconds, it fluctuates.
I'm not going to do intensive gaming.

Since this is a new PC I'll not overclock it. I'll see how my games are handles and see if everything is running smooth. If so, there's no need to essentially mess around with it.
No point messing with something which is not broken :)

Thanks for the help.

I can't suggest anything, just turning up the clock speed will likely result in instability. You really need to follow the linked method. As i said peoples past experience will not work for you, every CPU is different. I can build your exact computer on my workbench and end up with different overclock settings.

The motherboard you have is unlikely to allow the full range of XFR since its a midline board. If you want to be able to hit 4.2 GHZ you need better cooling and an X470 motherboard.

Honestly the 2600X can eat anything you throw at it stock, your GTX 1050TI will be more of a limiter than that CPU ever would be.

Mar 4, 2019
I can't suggest anything, just turning up the clock speed will likely result in instability. You really need to follow the linked method. As i said peoples past experience will not work for you, every CPU is different. I can build your exact computer on my workbench and end up with different overclock settings.

The motherboard you have unlikely won't allow the full range of XFR since its a midline board. If you want to be able to hit 4.2 GHZ you need better cooling and an X470 motherboard.

Honestly the 2600X can eat anything you throw at it stock, your GTX 1050TI will be more of a limiter than that CPU ever would be.
All right, thanks.

The motherboard apparently is supposed to be good (according to reviews), even though it is mid-range.
I'm not looking to hit 4.2Ghz, just 4Ghz.

I don't think an X motherboard is a requirement for overclocking. Many people say the 450s are suitable for overclocking.
The GTX 1050TI handles most games I play.

Thank you.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
All right, thanks.

The motherboard apparently is supposed to be good (according to reviews), even though it is mid-range.
I'm not looking to hit 4.2Ghz, just 4Ghz.

I don't think an X motherboard is a requirement for overclocking. Many people say the 450s are suitable for overclocking.
The GTX 1050TI handles most games I play.

Thank you.

Correct you can overclock with a B450 board and for light to medium overclocking it is fine. As I said to squeeze max performance out and get the full XFR range (or overclock range) you need a good X470 board.

The 1050ti is a great card for 1080p, my point was that card will limit your performance more than the CPU, since your concern is to get the most performance you can get.

Would you guys suggest the Ryzen Master software?
yes Ryzen master is the best way to set up and test an overclock before committing it to your BIOS for permanence.

Mar 4, 2019
Correct you can overclock with a B450 board and for light to medium overclocking it is fine. As I said to squeeze max performance out and get the full XFR range (or overclock range) you need a good X470 board.

The 1050ti is a great card for 1080p, my point was that card will limit your performance more than the CPU, since your concern is to get the most performance you can get.

yes Ryzen master is the best way to set up and test an overclock before committing it to your BIOS for permanence.
All right, thanks for your help.
I'm new to this site so if I seem arrogant or anything, I apologies xd.

Status
Not open for further replies.