[SOLVED] MSI B450 tomahawk max / 5600x red cpu light

Apr 17, 2021
I have recently built my own PC but can't get it to post and have tried everything I can think of, so hoping for any further ideas before sending the suspect parts back as faulty.

When build, the system powers up, all the fans (case, cpu, gpu) all power on, the rgb lights come on indicating the motherboard has power. However, the led warning lights on the motherboard cycle though and stays red on the CPU indicator.
The things I've tried are as follows:

• clearing the CMOS by using the jumper and by removing the battery
  • flashing the bios with the latest update for the board from MSI
  • reseating the CPU, very close inspection doesn't show any broken or bent pins
  • relaxing the tension on the cpu cooler as I have heard too tight can cause problems
  • trying different memory slots/sticks
  • trying different gfx cards and with no gfx card

The specs are as follows
MSI B450 Tomahawk max motherboard
AMD 5600x cpu
Corsair 750W PSU
32GB Ram Corsair Vengeance (2x 16gb sticks) 3600Mhz
2x Crucial 2TB SSD
Tried both a very old Gtx745 and a 1060, neither produced output although the fans were working. The 1060 I know works in my existing PC

Right now I'm close to sending the cpu back to amazon as faulty as I don't know what else the issue could be when everything else appears to be working.

Solution
I could also consider swapping the board out for a b550 as it's not massively expensive.
For a 5000 series processor that's a great idea...especially if you still have the option to return the B450 to your seller.

HOWEVER: please note that B550 motherboards may not come with out-of-box support for a 5600X! You may still have to update BIOS...it depends on when the board was made. Check to see if the one you're getting is Ryzen 5000 ready to be sure. Even if it does come with OOB support, plan on updating BIOS right off as it's not likely up to the latest. There have been significant improvements and fixes with later AGESA (the core of AMD board BIOS') updates.
Did you flash the BIOS using the USB flash-back? I've seen where it can take a couple attempts at the process to be successful so you might try it again. Also try different USB sticks. Be sure to follow the process precisely too.

If you go through the flash-back a few more times and still unsuccessful I'd contact MSI first as I'd say it's more likely the board is faulty. I'm pretty sure AMD will ask you that, too, before giving you an RMA. It's just very rare to get a brand new CPU that's DOA.

Last edited:
Reactions: kurdtnz
Apr 17, 2021
Thanks for the reply. I did try the usb flash-back a couple of times with no success. I did use a usb 3.0 stick and did read somewhere a 2.0 stick could be better so i'll try that.

I could also consider swapping the board out for a b550 as it's not massively expensive.

For a 5000 series processor that's a great idea...especially if you still have the option to return the B450 to your seller.

HOWEVER: please note that B550 motherboards may not come with out-of-box support for a 5600X! You may still have to update BIOS...it depends on when the board was made. Check to see if the one you're getting is Ryzen 5000 ready to be sure. Even if it does come with OOB support, plan on updating BIOS right off as it's not likely up to the latest. There have been significant improvements and fixes with later AGESA (the core of AMD board BIOS') updates.

Reactions: kurdtnz
Solution