Question MSI B450 Tomahawk Max and crashing display drivers?

Jul 2, 2020
I have a MSI b450 Tomahawk max mb,
Ryzen 7 3700x,
32GB ddr4-3600 ram,
PNY GTX 1080ti,
and 750w 80 corsair PSU

Each and every time, I try to install nVidia drivers, the GPU fan kicks up to high and the system hangs. I have tried to flash to all 7 different versions of the BIOS, I have moved the GPU to the 2nd PCIe slot, all to no avail. I don't think it's the GPU, I think it's this sub-par MSI motherboard. Can anyone else provide some insight?

I have a MSI b450 Tomahawk max mb,
Ryzen 7 3700x,
32GB ddr4-3600 ram,
PNY GTX 1080ti,
and 750w 80 corsair PSU

Each and every time, I try to install nVidia drivers, the GPU fan kicks up to high and the system hangs. I have tried to flash to all 7 different versions of the BIOS, I have moved the GPU to the 2nd PCIe slot, all to no avail. I don't think it's the GPU, I think it's this sub-par MSI motherboard. Can anyone else provide some insight?

The B450 Tomahawk isnt subpar, and as far as BIOS you should be on the latest stable version avaiable for your motherboard

Did you just buy this card?

Can you be certain it worked previously?

Have you tried another graphics card in your system?

Jul 2, 2020
I just put the whole system together. Purchased the MB off eBay, probably my first mistake. And the 1080ti is used.

I have ordered a replacement card, to test if it's the GPU or if it is indeed the board causing the crash after every 2nd boot into Windows.

This seems to be a widespread problem with this model of MSI MB's; not sure why you wouldn't classify that as sub-par?

Last edited: