[SOLVED] MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX availability date in US?

Solution
Haven't heard anything, although I believe it's only been ~3 weeks in the UK.

Out of curiosity, is there any specific reason you need the MAX? Chances are, you'll pay a premium over the base B450 Tomahawk, and you can upgrade the BIOS without a compatible CPU...?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Haven't heard anything, although I believe it's only been ~3 weeks in the UK.

Out of curiosity, is there any specific reason you need the MAX? Chances are, you'll pay a premium over the base B450 Tomahawk, and you can upgrade the BIOS without a compatible CPU...?

Solution
Barty1884 Thank you for your response. I want the Max for the 32MB (256mb) BIOS size. It's already known that compromises were made with their previous non-Max BIOS': certain APUs not being compatible, and storage RAID functionality possibly being removed, due to the limited 16MB (128mb) BIOS size. All of this makes me wonder what compromises have been made, that aren't published. Also, what compromises will MSI have to make when Zen 2+ is released next year? I don't know, but I wouldn't want to be in that poor of a position.

-- update --

-- B&H --

B&H now has six Max motherboards, that can be ordered immediately. Five of them are B450 and one is X470.

B450 Tomahawk Max has Expected availability of Oct 16, 2019

All other boards have availability of 3-7 business days.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?ntt=max&refineSearchString=&ci=19864&fct=fct_brand_name|msi&N=3835434462&

MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX
MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX
MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX
MSI B450-A PRO MAX
MSI B450 GAMING PLUS MAX

MSI X470 GAMING PLUS

-- Amazon --

MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX

* several other models available but only from Amazon 3rd party sellers.

-- NewEgg ---

MSI PRO B450M PRO-VDH MAX

-- b550 chipset update --

I've heard a rumor that b550 motherboards will be shipping in oem computers next month but retail boards won't be available until later in Q4. I think that I heard this on Hardware Unboxed or UFD Tech; I can't remember which. My hope is that the retail boards will be available for purchase in October, but I'm just passing along the information that I've heard, in case any of you are holding out.

Last edited:
Reactions: WildCard999