Question MSI B450 Tomahawk Max DRAM Failure

Sep 9, 2022
Specs:
Ryzen 9 3900X
B450 Tomahawk Max mobo
Radeon RX 5700XT GPU
4X8 GB DDR4 GSkill Ripjaws 3600 MhZ RAM

The last time I tried to boot my PC, I was met with the CPU failure EZ-Debug LED on the side of my motherboard. I tried to reseat the CPU and reset the JBAT connector a few times, which gave me a little progress: now, I get the DRAM failure EZ-Debug LED.
Since then, I have tried replacing the CMOS battery and reseating the RAM.
I have not recently done a BIOS update, but I'm not sure how to do so if I can't get my computer to boot properly, even from a flash drive.
From here, I am planning to:
  • Take the CMOS battery out for 5-15 minutes
  • Short the JBAT connector again
  • Reseat my DIMM modules again
  • Clean out the inside of my case
  • Check the PSU connector to the motherboard
  • Update the BIOS, if I can figure out how
I've had this computer for about three years and I upgraded it about a year ago, at the end of last summer. I've had some issues with the motherboard and I suspect it may be dead, but I want to be sure before I bite the bullet and replace it. Thanks in advance for any help!

Sep 9, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What did you upgrade on your platform? You forgot to mention the make and model of the PSU powering the build. If you're on the first variant of the B450 Tomahawk Max board, then you should be able to flash the BIOS to the latest using the Flash BIOS button, refer to page 41 in your motherboard's manual.
The components I listed are what's currently in the PC. I am on the first variant of the B450 Tomahawk Max board, and I will try to flash the BIOS!

My PSU is a Rosewill PMG 80+ Gold 1050W unit.

Sep 9, 2022
^ Noted! Yeap, you should see if a BIOS update helps bring your platform back to life.

Rosewill PMG 80+ Gold 1050W
How old is the unit?
I'm running the BIOS update right now through the flash BIOS button, but I've got a solid red light. Planning on just waiting it out...

I purchased the PSU back in December of 2019 and it's been running my machine since then.

Sep 9, 2022
Be patient with the BIOS flashing process. Does he thumb drive have an LED on it to indicate if it's being accessed/read/written to?
No, unfortunately, it does not. I just got back to my computer and it's still on a solid red LED. I don't want to touch the power button or mess with anything, but it's now been about an hour and a half.

The drive is a 16GB cheapo I got from a camera store, so I might try a name-brand drive. If so, how do I safely stop the process?

Lutfij

Titan
how do I safely stop the process?
You don't...you're literally flying blind on that. The LED on the drive helps in understanding if it's being used. Once the LED stops flashing, then the process is complete. I hope you followed through the guide in the manual, down to the last step.

Sep 9, 2022
how do I safely stop the process?
You don't...you're literally flying blind on that. The LED on the drive helps in understanding if it's being used. Once the LED stops flashing, then the process is complete. I hope you followed through the guide in the manual, down to the last step.
Yeah, I did. It's been going for about 2 and a half hours now. I'm going out tonight, so I'm going to leave it be. We'll see...

Update: the light has been solid red all night. I think the motherboard has finally died.

Last edited: