Question msi b450 tomahawk max frequency stepping

Sep 6, 2019
so i just brought a msi b450 tomahawk max and and installed my 3900x, i can't figure out how to enable frequency stepping, or does this broad just not support it please help

Ryzen 3000 works off the base frequency, for a 3900x that's 3.8Ghz. It will usually appear to operate at that and boost only when needed when there is also thermal and VRM headroom.

It will also drop clocks at low loads but most monitoring software can't catch it and will instead report the last clock, which is going to be 3.8Ghz, before it went into an idle state. Use Ryzenmaster to see the true idle behaviour, RM even shows when cores are in 'deep-sleep' states which nothing else I know of can report right now.

And lastly: some softwares lock the processor at a fixed speed. Steam is really bad for it and should fix their crappy game launcher for that. All I can do now is hope it's not a real locked frequency as it appears to 'lock' my 3700x at 4.2Ghz when it should be able to boost one core at least to 4.375-4.4 in-game as needed. To have a poor launcher software gimp a processor like that and kill game performance is unthinkable.

Last edited:
Reactions: DMAN999

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
drea.drechsler is mostly correct.
Ryzen Master shows the most detailed info and is what I use most to check my CPU clock, temp., etc.
It will as he said, show the clocks all the way down to their sleep state.
But my 3700x does show clocks as low as 2475 MHz in CPUz, Aida64 and HWInfo.