Question MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX II

Oct 1, 2022
Hello,
I was working on my first gaming build. A friend sold me a power supply 750 Watt and an RTX 2060 Super 6 GB as well as a ryzen 5 2600. I went over to his place tonight to build everything as he has successfully build 7 PCs prior to this. I wanted to take care of the majority of the build to learn but I wanted the guidance. After the build we went to power it up and we got a flash of power lights all came on and then it went dead. We pulled all the connectors and double checked everything but no luck. We could not get it to boot. For reference the build also contains
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin SDRAM (PC4-25600) DDR4 3200
Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB Internal SSD PCIe Gen 3 x4 NVMe
Musetex case Y4 is the model it is a midtower.

We ran into a few problems during the build the case was missing a stand off so we left out the top center I believe, it was also super hot in his apartment so I was sweating like crazy I did my best to wipe off my forehead as often as possible to not get any on the components. The motherboard was an open box on amazon so it was shipped in a much larger box than it should have been just in the static bagging with 2 thin piece of bubble wrap around it. My friend plugged up his extra power supply to confirm that it was not that causing the issue. We came to conclusion the motherboard was fried. I'm not sure which of these thing or if all may have contributed to the failure of the board but I was wondering are any or all of these things and absolute NO NO for building a pc? Just looking to get advice on where to go from here. I ordered a replacement motherboard and we are going to try to put his extra ryzen 5600 in the new mobo just to rule out any damage to the CPU as well. There was no smoke or burned areas on the MOBO after we took everything apart and the pins on the CPU looked fine. Any advice at all will be helpful thank you in advanced.

Oct 1, 2022
EVGA supernova 750 I believe. I’m not sure what the extra one was he was using. I know it was a 800 watt I believe but he hooked the extra one back up to his pc and it fired up fine so we ruled out the psu.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I believe that he did. I think we left everything connected to the system and just swapped the PSU with the same result.

That's very, very bad. You never do this unless the PSUs are identical or you've already looked up the pinouts. Pinouts on modular PSU cables are only modular on the end that connects to the component not the end that connects to the PSU. Which means that if the problem was one thing before, it may be more now, up to the worst-case possibility of every component connected improperly being fried. Definitely going to need the exact PSU he used in addition to your exact PSU. "Supernova" is not enough as EVGA has called their PSUs that for a decade and come from several different manufacturers using different platforms.

TRENDING THREADS