Question MSI B450 Tomahawk Max VGA Debug Light on Boot

Apr 24, 2020
Built a new system about a month ago now. It is running on a MSI B450 Tomahawk Max with a AMD Ryzen 1600af processor and Gigabyte 1660 Super GPU.

I have been using it about daily since the build and havent had any issues with it. Recently I unplugged and moved the tower to a new desk. I only moved it from one desk to the floor for a few days while installing the new desk and placing it back on the new desk. After plugging everything back in it booted fine for 2 days.

The next morning I turned the power on and on the motherboard it has the 4 red debug lights that it runs through as it boosts. It did the the cpu and ram lights then got to the vga light and that one stayed on. The monitors (I run 2) powered on but only showed an underscore ( _ ) icon on the screen and it stayed there.

I tried to restart multiple times and it continued to stop booting at the VGA debug light. I ended up shutting down and unplugging the power to the tower. Next I opened the case and removed the GPU from the motherboard and inspected it, not finding any issues. I reinstalled it and plugged the power cable back in. Once trying to start up again it again locked up at the VGA debug light.

Next I started to unplug 1 cable at a time from the rear of the tower. I have 2 external HDD's plugged in via USB and was just trying to see if that was causing an issue. With no change I left those unplugged and next unplugged the monitors.

Started up the computer and it booted fine. Then I plugged all cables back in and everything ran OK. The next day I had the same exact issue. I unplugged the cables in the back to be able to boot up then plugged it all back in.

Has anyone heard of this being an issue and if so what can I do to solve it?

Specs:
MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
AMD Ryzen 1600AF
Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 16GB Kit
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Super OC 6GB

Apr 30, 2020
I have same issues with my:
MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
AMD ryzen 5 2600
Adata XPG Spectrix D60G 16GB
MSI Geforce GTX 1650 Super Ventus XS OC

Since i complete my pc setup in february 2020, i already experience this issue for 2 times, and always happen on coldboot scenario, VGA Debug LED on and show "-", i have to restarted to make it boot properly and after that everything goes normal, but i guees have 30% chance to face this issue every coldboot

Apr 24, 2020
I have done some trouble shooting... I found that if I unplug one of my external HDD it boots fine. For what ever reason it seems to be having issues booting with it plugged in. Once it boots I can plug in the external and it works just fine.

Apr 27, 2020
I have the same issue with my:
B450 Tomahawk max
Ryzan 5 3600x
G.skill 8gb ram
Sapphire Rx 580 pulse 8gb

Having the same issue here, i've been trying to fix the issue for the past 1 month.
Please do share if you find the solution.
Also the b450 tomahawk max has so much issue. .