[SOLVED] MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX Won't Post

Sep 19, 2020
While playing video games, I smelt something burning and my computer shut down. When I attempted to start it back up, the computer would start for a split second and shut off again. I unfortunately was not able to isolate the smell.

I took the following steps to troubleshoot my problems:
  1. Removed all components
  2. Checked GPU and MOBO for burn marks
  3. Inspected the CPU for bent pins
  4. Reset the MOBO CMOS
  5. Combined the MOBO, GPU, CPU, RAM and tested with 2 different power supplies. This step somehow led to all of my parts turning on.

After rebuilding by PC and turning it on, my computer wouldn't POST. After powering on, my motherboard fault LEDs would turn on the CPU LED for 5 seconds, turn the CPU LED off and then turn and leave the VGA LED on.

Since then I've double checked to ensure power is connected to all components properly and have flashed the BIOS.

My specs are as follows:
Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
GPU: EVGA Nvidia 980TI
PSU: Corsair RM750X
RAM: G. SKILL Trident Z 288-pin DDR4 3200

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
While playing video games, I smelt something burning and my computer shut down. When I attempted to start it back up, the computer would start for a split second and shut off again. I unfortunately was not able to isolate the smell.

4. Reset the MOBO CMOS
  5. Combined the MOBO, GPU, CPU, RAM and tested with 2 different power supplies. This step somehow led to all of my parts turning on.
After rebuilding by PC and turning it on, my computer wouldn't POST. After powering on, my motherboard fault LEDs would turn on the CPU LED for 5 seconds, turn the CPU LED off and then...

kanewolf

Titan

4. Reset the MOBO CMOS
After rebuilding by PC and turning it on, my computer wouldn't POST. After powering on, my motherboard fault LEDs would turn on the CPU LED for 5 seconds, turn the CPU LED off and then turn and leave the VGA LED on.

Since then I've double checked to ensure power is connected to all components properly and have flashed the BIOS.

My specs are as follows:
Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
GPU: EVGA Nvidia 980TI
PSU: Corsair RM750X
RAM: G. SKILL Trident Z 288-pin DDR4 3200

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
You need to find out what caused the burning smell. Without identifying that, you can't work toward fixing it.

Solution