Question Msi B450 Tomahawk red VGA light even after clearing cmos.

Petepp69

Prominent
Apr 25, 2020
I have a spare parts build so everything works, and I swapped every component out with my main build and can confirm that every part works other then the board and I am still having the red VGA led. Today I finally had the time to trouble shoot and I cleared the cmos by removing the battery and I waited a generous 3 minutes. I tried everything from what I have found on both Reddit and TH and nothing works. Other then acquiring a cpu with integrated graphics there is nothing else left that I know of for me to do other then the board is bad and needs to be replaced. Has any one else ever fixed this issue?

PC specs are
Ryzen 1600af
Ryzen stock cooler
MSI b450 Tomahawk Max
4x8 gig Gskill 3000 mhz
Gtx 980 ti (I tested with both of the ones I have from my old sli build)
Crucial P1 1tb
Samsung 850 evo 500gb
Evga G2 850w
Fractal design Mesh C

I have a spare parts build so everything works, and I swapped every component out with my main build and can confirm that every part works other then the board and I am still having the red VGA led. Today I finally had the time to trouble shoot and I cleared the cmos by removing the battery and I waited a generous 3 minutes. I tried everything from what I have found on both Reddit and TH and nothing works. Other then acquiring a cpu with integrated graphics there is nothing else left that I know of for me to do other then the board is bad and needs to be replaced. Has any one else ever fixed this issue?

PC specs are
Ryzen 1600af
Ryzen stock cooler
MSI b450 Tomahawk Max
4x8 gig Gskill 3000 mhz
Gtx 980 ti (I tested with both of the ones I have from my old sli build)
Crucial P1 1tb
Samsung 850 evo 500gb
Evga G2 850w
Fractal design Mesh C

Are you plugging the monitor into a jack on the GPU...not one on the motherboard? Kind of basic, but sometimes those are the errors that trip up even the best.

Petepp69

Prominent
Apr 25, 2020
Are you plugging the monitor into a jack on the GPU...not one on the motherboard? Kind of basic, but sometimes those are the errors that trip up even the best.
Thank you for your reply. Yes I am plugged into my gpu. I used both my dvi and a hdmi cable on my gpu and I tried using the one on the board just as a last effort to see if anything happens.