[SOLVED] MSI B450 Tomahawk - USB port not working

Feb 2, 2021
Hello,

I have some problems with my USB ports on my motherboard : only 2 ports are working fine (the 2 above the ethernet port) and the rest, including ths usb port from my computer case.

I've downloaded every driver from the MSI Website, and updated the BIOS too (v 7C02v1H1).
I rarely use those extra usb port so I don't know when this issue began unfortunately and i don't really know where to search since i'm not a pro hardware tech guy :)

I tested to plug my mouse in every USB port to see if the usb are powered and my mouse is on, but not working.

Here's my config :
Motherbroad : MSI B450 Tomahawk
CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Six-Core Processor 3.60 GHz
GPU : Saphire Radeon 580
Windows : W10 Familly v20H2 19042.746

Thanks in advance :)

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of your PSU and it's age? What BIOS version were you on prior to upgrading to the latest? I'd advise on powering down the system, then disconnect from the wall and then remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard before replacing it after 30 minutes.

Did you try and installing your chipset drivers sourced from AMD's support site and installing it in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

I read past reports of some USB ports not working because of buggy BIOS' with that board. I'm also not a fan of beta BIOS' (looks like you're on a beta).
Are there any 'unknown devices' listed in device manager? Have you tried contacting MSI support?

Feb 2, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of your PSU and its age? What BIOS version were you on prior to upgrading to the latest? I'd advise on powering down the system, then disconnect from the wall and then remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard before replacing it after 30 minutes.

Did you try and installing your chipset drivers sourced from AMD's support site and installing it in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

My PSU is OCZ ZS 550W. It's age, well... I'd say old maybe 6-7 years ... Could it be the cause even if my mouse is powered in every usb port ?
Concerning the BIOS I was in 7C02v10 (core version)... I know it's pretty sad but like i said, i'm not a pro hardware tech guy :(

I installed AMD chipset driver from MSI website since the driver is more recent that the one in AMD Website ( In MSI Website V2.10.26.336 and in AMD website v 2.10.13.408 ) and i installed it as usual, not by right clicking and Run as administrator

i'll try your advice with CMOS battery as soon as i can

I read past reports of some USB ports not working because of buggy BIOS' with that board. I'm also not a fan of beta BIOS' (looks like you're on a beta).
Are there any 'unknown devices' listed in device manager? Have you tried contacting MSI support?

Indeed I've one Unknown Device in the "Other device" part. It seems it's a Code 28 on AMD USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller
And I did not contact the MSI Support yet