Question (MSI B450/Win10) Unable to Boot Unless Drive Selected Manually

swks

Prominent
Feb 22, 2018
I built a new PC recently and did a clean install of Windows 10 and now my PC is unable to boot into the drive I installed Win10 in. For example, if started from a cold state it will just show me a blank screen. I have to press F11 to enter boot setup and manually select the drive to boot into Windows, which afterwards works perfectly fine. Also if I'm in Windows already and restart instead of shutdown, it will find the boot drive and load back in.

I've already gone into the BIOS and tried changing the boot order but the results are always the same. Also I installed Windows in Legacy/CSM rather than UEFI so as far as I know, switching to UEFI won't work.

Also I installed my main drive on SATA port 4 and my secondary drive on SATA port 2 so does that have anything to do with this?

Help would be appreciated.

Specs:
AMD Ryzen 5 3600x
MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x8gb 3600mhz C18
Nvidia GTX 1050ti
Samsung EVO 960 1TB (boot)
Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB (secondary)

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The SATA port you have the boot drive on won't matter as long as you have (1) the correct drive set as the first drive in BIOS and (2) have it set as the boot drive.

Why did you force the Win10 installation to legacy mode? If it was in UEFI mode (as would be default), it would automatically set the Win Boot Manager as the boot 'drive'.

swks

Prominent
Feb 22, 2018
The SATA port you have the boot drive on won't matter as long as you have (1) the correct drive set as the first drive in BIOS and (2) have it set as the boot drive.

Why did you force the Win10 installation to legacy mode? If it was in UEFI mode (as would be default), it would automatically set the Win Boot Manager as the boot 'drive'.
Setting the boot order with my SSD first or my SSD last makes absolutely no difference for me. No matter what, I gotta enter boot setup.

I did not force it. I only discovered it was in legacy after having this issue and diving deeper and noticing it was in CSM/Legacy mode.