Question MSI B450m gaming plus MOBO showing DRAM debug light

BrendonM

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2012
Hi everyone,

My new rig is turning on but the monitor says "no signal" before going black.

My CPU is a Ryzen 5 3600 and my mobo is an MSI B450m gaming plus. The mobo does not support the CPU out of the box, so I previously updated the bios to the newest version listed on the msi website (https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450M-GAMING-PLUS) using the BIOS flashback function of the mobo. I followed their instructions using a FAT32 formatted usb stick with the update file renamed to MSI.ROM. I stuck the stick into the appropriate usb port and used the flashback function - the light flashed for several minutes (maybe 2-3 minutes) and then stopped. I removed the USB and then went on to install the CPU, RAM, and the GPU, as well as hook up my SSDs and DVD drive to the computer. When everything was assembled, I plugged in my mouse and keyboard via USB, and my monitor via a DVI to DP cable hooked into the video card. When I hit the power button it turns on and all the fans on the case/cpu/GPU spin, but the boot menu never appears.

I discovered the debug lights on the mobo and saw that the red LED corresponding to "DRAM" would light up shortly after booting and stayed on as long as my computer was on. My mobo manual says this indicates that RAM either was not detected or failed.

Here are my specs:

MOBO - MSI b450m gaming plus (a microatx form board)
CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 3600
GPU - Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1660 ti
RAM - Team T-Force Vulcan Z 2x8 GB DDR4 3000MHz ram (TLZGD48G3000HC16CBK)
PSU - Seasonic Focus Gold 550W

Unfortunately I do not have any other DDR4 RAM available at the moment. I tried booting with only 1 stick in the machine and the result was the same. Any help is appreciated.

BrendonM

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2012
Well this is embarassing but I figured out that the ram hadn't clicked in on one side - the DIMM slot only has 1 end that opens/closes but the other end is fixed. I must have not clicked the RAM in on the fixed end of the slot. Feel free to nuke this thread - I'm in the boot menu now.