[SOLVED] MSI B450M Gaming Plus - red VGA light

Feb 21, 2019
CPU: AMD Ryzen 1700X
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Motherboard: MSI B450M Gaming Plus
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 2400
Power Supply: Seasonic FOCUS Plus 650 Platinum SSR-650PX 650W 80+ Platinum ATX12V & EPS12V
1st Graphics Card: MSI Radeon RX 580
2nd Graphics Card: XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition

Background:

I put this together the other day and the VGA light on the motherboard was on (with the MSI RX 580). I tossed in an old GTX 650 and it worked (kind of). I was able to get Windows installed but occasionally when rebooting the VGA light would be on again and I would have to power down and back up a few times to get back in. I figured the problem was probably the MSI RX 580 since the GTX mostly worked so I RMAd the MSI RX 580.

I received the XFX card today and tossed that in and....same problem. VGA light is on and I can't get into the BIOS. I removed the XFX card and the power supply and tried them in a known working computer and they worked fine. I took the power supply from the known working computer and tried it in the new system and have the same problem; VGA light is on. I then tried the old GTX 650 again and sometimes the VGA light is on and sometimes I can get into the BIOS. Once in the BIOS I updated it and that didn't appear to help.

Two other things I've noticed:
  • The two USB ports next to the PS/2 port don't work - neither the mouse or keyboard light up.
  • If I do manage to get the computer to boot using the GTX 650, once the Windows logo appears the mouse and keyboard lose power (lights go out) and the signal to the monitor is lost.

At this point I'm guessing the problem is the motherboard but I'm just looking for suggestions and reassurance.

Solution
From your description I have to agree, I'ts the Motherboard. The only other things it could be are contamination in the PCIE slot (very doubtful being a new card and MB) the PSU (also very doubtful being an EVGA Platinum card) or poor cabling and connections.
RMA the MB.
From your description I have to agree, I'ts the Motherboard. The only other things it could be are contamination in the PCIE slot (very doubtful being a new card and MB) the PSU (also very doubtful being an EVGA Platinum card) or poor cabling and connections.
RMA the MB.

Solution