Question MSI B450m Gaming Plus vs Asrock B450m Pro 4

Fredin

Reputable
Apr 5, 2019
So I've asked which mobo to get a few days back and was about to get the asrock b450m pro4 but today I saw this board from MSI. Its even priced cheaper than the asrock board.

It looks like it has some good vram cooling and even has Bios flashback, so I wont have to worry if I screwed up the bios.

But it has fewer fan headers and only one pcie 16 and m.2 slots, and fewer usb too.

But my main concern is that it has only 2 ram slots. Would that limit future expansions? Im getting 16gb as of now, would that be enough for a few more years since there wont be any space left for more sticks.

You also forgot the Gaming Plus has a this garish red color scheme while the Pro4's is a subdued gray/black. I think only you can decide if any of those features will make sense to you.

I thought the flash-back feature a big plus when I got my Mortar but haven't used it once. Even so it may prove useful when MSI considers whether to release update BIOS' to support Ryzen 3000 chips.

An extra m.2 slot really is nice...but that becomes limited if it doesn't support M.2 PCIe NVME. Some boards 2nd slot works only with M.2 SATA so if you wanted to use it to directly clone your system to a bigger/faster M.2 PCIe NVME you couldn't. And 1TB PCIe NVME's are affordable now so you get to have a super-fast data drive too.

I personally would not worry about the missing 2 DIMM slots. Loading 4 DIMM's on the CPU's memory controller can have a dramatic effect so I am more concerned about compromising memory clock speed if I later populate all 4. And in fact only one socket on each channel should improve overclocking potential. In theory at least and all else being equal.

If games should escalate to a demanding need for 32Gb memory there are 2-DIMM kits available for that. But if your applications need it? again...only you know that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fredin

Fredin

Reputable
Apr 5, 2019
You also forgot the Gaming Plus has a this garish red color scheme while the Pro4's is a subdued gray/black. I think only you can decide if any of those features will make sense to you.

I thought the flash-back feature a big plus when I got my Mortar but haven't used it once. Even so it may prove useful when MSI considers whether to release update BIOS' to support Ryzen 3000 chips.

An extra m.2 slot really is nice...but that becomes limited if it doesn't support M.2 PCIe NVME. Some boards 2nd slot works only with M.2 SATA so if you wanted to use it to directly clone your system to a bigger/faster M.2 PCIe NVME you couldn't. And 1TB PCIe NVME's are affordable now so you get to have a super-fast data drive too.

I personally would not worry about the missing 2 DIMM slots. Loading 4 DIMM's on the CPU's memory controller can have a dramatic effect so I am more concerned about compromising memory clock speed if I later populate all 4. And in fact only one socket on each channel should improve overclocking potential. In theory at least and all else being equal.

If games should escalate to a demanding need for 32Gb memory there are 2-DIMM kits available for that. But if your applications need it? again...only you know that.
Thanks for the reply.

Both colour schemes are nice and I like both.

Its highly unlikely that I'll be using the m.2 slot anyway, I cant even get an SSD now😅.

The gaming plus is a bit cheaper and I'll probably go for it since it dosent lack stuffs that im going to use, except the fan headers everything else is present and its bios is a breeze.

But which would last longer? Asrock has two heatsinks but the msi has only one. Would that be an issue?

Both colour schemes are nice and I like both.
But which would last longer? Asrock has two heatsinks but the msi has only one. Would that be an issue?

The second heatsink cover's the SOC VRM which powers GPU portion of APU's so it won't get heavily loaded if it there isn't an one in the system. So the answer depends on what CPU you're planning on.

Once we get our consumer electronic gear through the infant mortality phase we PC users never 'wear out' the electronics as it gets obsoleted to quickly. So either can be expected to provide the same service life, after break in.

Last edited:

Fredin

Reputable
Apr 5, 2019
You already said, that you want to future proof it.
So in your mind, which one do YOU think is more future proof?
The one with 4 ram, M2s or the one without them?

Well that's true. And its not that I dont want it to be future proof, im just a bit worried about the bios and compatibility.

The second heatsink cover's the SOC VRM which powers GPU portion of APU's so it won't get heavily loaded if it there isn't an one in the system. So the answer depends on what CPU you're planning on.

Once we get our consumer electronic gear through the infant mortality phase we PC users never 'wear out' the electronics as it gets obsoleted to quickly. So either can be expected to provide the same service life, after break in.

I will be using an APU, 2400G to be exact. So the Asrock board would be better?
But im hearing more horror stories from asrock users, maybe its just the internet.

Feb 23, 2019
I just posted the same question basically but mine were the pro4 or steel legend vs the mortar from msi. I chose the mortar, as ive heard nothing but good things about it. Again I also hear good things about the pro4. You will always see/read bad reviews for anything you buy. Or atleast from what I see. Ive not really looked into the gaming plus much. At the price point youre looking at, I dont think you can go wrong really

Well that's true. And its not that I dont want it to be future proof, im just a bit worried about the bios and compatibility.
I will be using an APU, 2400G to be exact. So the Asrock board would be better?
But im hearing more horror stories from asrock users, maybe its just the internet.

I think yes, the Asrock is the better for a 2400G since it has the heatsink for the VSoC. Asrock's BIOS is confusing to navigate, I have to imagine that leaves people frustrated who'll take it out in their internet posts.

Even though you may get best/coolest overclocking of the iGPU on the Pro4, I don't think the Gaming Plus will cripple it.

From a future-proofing perspective the Gaming Plus has a great setup for a later-on Ryzen 3000 upgrade coupled with a discrete GPU. And as I said, any memory upgrade should be a two-DIMM kit anyway for optimum performance...but I don't think anyone's screaming about 32Gb being required anytime soon.

In the end, it's all about the upgrade path you think will benefit you most. I also checked on the Pro4 specs, the 2nd M.2 is SATA 3.0 only and won't support an NVME so that's effectively a wash.

Last edited:
[
I just posted the same question basically but mine were the pro4 or steel legend vs the mortar from msi. I chose the mortar, as ive heard nothing but good things about it. Again I also hear good things about the pro4. You will always see/read bad reviews for anything you buy. Or atleast from what I see. Ive not really looked into the gaming plus much. At the price point youre looking at, I dont think you can go wrong really

That B450m Mortar is a great board...I have one I'm Folding on with a 1700 at 3.95G. It's just too bad they aren't available in the US anymore.

I've read the board MFR's are trying to clear stocks of B450 and X470 boards leading up to release of Ryzen 3000 and new boards for them, that could be why.

Reactions: KeyMB and Fredin
An unecessary worry, since millions of computers are sold, not many people have BIOS problems, although that does happen. It has even happened to me, when my Z97 said there was an UPDATE, started to download the update, said the update was corrupted, then installed the corrupted update, and I had 2 bios' I was also sent another Bios chip, still it bricked the motherboard.
Anyway, things are better now and easier :)
Once you get the motherboard, update the bios and you won't need to update it again until you change your CPU (most likely). 1update in 2-3 years and it will probably still be in warranty if it did die

An unecessary worry, since millions of computers are sold, not many people have BIOS problems, although that does happen. ....

Adding a little to this...there are possible problems with BIOS updates that seem to have popped up with Ryzen systems, but they are usually easily avoided.

The thing to do is READ THE NOTES THAT COME WITH THE BIOS! Some BIOS rev's are 'one-way only', that is once you update to it you can't go back. And some BIOS rev's tell you to update chipset drivers BEFORE you update, if you don't then Windows may not start. These are things usually called out in the release notes but people don't read them and then you hear howling complaints when it's not as expected.

As Ryzen 3000 comes out there are going to be updates as they bring out new chips in that generation. I think, in general, if you're on a Ryzen 1000 or 2000 chip you should avoid them unless the notes state specific benefits for your CPU.

Fredin

Reputable
Apr 5, 2019
That B450m Mortar is a great board...I have one I'm Folding on with a 1700 at 3.95G. It's just too bad they aren't available in the US anymore.

I've read the board MFR's are trying to clear stocks of B450 and X470 boards leading up to release of Ryzen 3000 and new boards for them, that could be why.

Yeah, Mortar is a great board, just that its a bit beyond my pocket's reach.

An unecessary worry, since millions of computers are sold, not many people have BIOS problems, although that does happen. It has even happened to me, when my Z97 said there was an UPDATE, started to download the update, said the update was corrupted, then installed the corrupted update, and I had 2 bios' I was also sent another Bios chip, still it bricked the motherboard.
Anyway, things are better now and easier :)
Once you get the motherboard, update the bios and you won't need to update it again until you change your CPU (most likely). 1update in 2-3 years and it will probably still be in warranty if it did die

Guess I'll just have to be carefull.

Adding a little to this...there are possible problems with BIOS updates that seem to have popped up with Ryzen systems, but they are usually easily avoided.

The thing to do is READ THE NOTES THAT COME WITH THE BIOS! Some BIOS rev's are 'one-way only', that is once you update to it you can't go back. And some BIOS rev's tell you to update chipset drivers BEFORE you update, if you don't then Windows may not start. These are things usually called out in the release notes but people don't read them and then you hear howling complaints when it's not as expected.

As Ryzen 3000 comes out there are going to be updates as they bring out new chips in that generation. I think, in general, if you're on a Ryzen 1000 or 2000 chip you should avoid them unless the notes state specific benefits for your CPU.

While having the BIOS flashback is a + in these cases, I'll be using the system without a GPU for a pretty long while, and Asrock does have heatsinks for the VSoC and it does have 4 ram slots so if i have to get more ram, I'll just have to buy two more sticks with the same config as the ones i have and hopefully, it'll run in dual channel. Even if it dosen't, I wont have to waste my old sticks.

But then again if i get a GPU later on the gaming plus looks like a better choice, or would the Asrock board handle it?

Last edited:
But then again if i get a GPU later on the gaming plus looks like a better choice, or would the Asrock board handle it?

A discrete GPU doesn't rely heavily on motherboard services as an integrated GPU does so The Pro4 will handle a discrete GPU as well as any other. The thing to watch for then is if you put in a GPU that outclasses the CPU (2400) such that you don't get the full measure of it.

To me the best thing about the BIOS Flashback has to do with upgrade-ability. If you pull the board off the shelf for a 3rd gen you don't need a 2nd gen or lower chip to load a BIOS for it.

But this is what I think is best about the feature. Apparently the current boards are out of BIOS space to load the support code for another generation of CPU's so when they come out with 3rd gen code board mfr's are going to have to drop support in the BIOS for earlier generations, like say 1st gen.

Well, what happens if someone updates to a 3rd. gen BIOS using their 1st gen chip and then finds their board won't boot? That's leading to speculation mfr's may not want the support problems as people do it and then howl about it on the internet. But MSI has that licked on most of their B450/X470 boards: just BIOS flashback to a supporting BIOS.

Fredin

Reputable
Apr 5, 2019
A discrete GPU doesn't rely heavily on motherboard services as an integrated GPU does so The Pro4 will handle a discrete GPU as well as any other. The thing to watch for then is if you put in a GPU that outclasses the CPU (2400) such that you don't get the full measure of it.

To me the best thing about the BIOS Flashback has to do with upgrade-ability. If you pull the board off the shelf for a 3rd gen you don't need a 2nd gen or lower chip to load a BIOS for it.

But this is what I think is best about the feature. Apparently the current boards are out of BIOS space to load the support code for another generation of CPU's so when they come out with 3rd gen code board mfr's are going to have to drop support in the BIOS for earlier generations, like say 1st gen.

Well, what happens if someone updates to a 3rd. gen BIOS using their 1st gen chip and then finds their board won't boot? That's leading to speculation mfr's may not want the support problems as people do it and then howl about it on the internet. But MSI has that licked on most of their B450/X470 boards: just BIOS flashback to a supporting BIOS.

I'll just get what's more available and cheaper. Both seems good😅 Just tell me which one would you guys choose between the two

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2019
I'll just get what's more available and cheaper. Both seems good😅 Just tell me which one would you guys choose between the two

I say make your own decision. I don’t see a wrong answer in this. That way you don’t have remorse if someone suggests something you end up not liking. If you’ll be gaming on the 2400g and igpu, and aren’t planning a cpu upgrade 2 months down the road, again I say you can’t go wrong. All have their pros and cons.

Fredin

Reputable
Apr 5, 2019
I say make your own decision. I don’t see a wrong answer in this. That way you don’t have remorse if someone suggests something you end up not liking. If you’ll be gaming on the 2400g and igpu, and aren’t planning a cpu upgrade 2 months down the road, again I say you can’t go wrong. All have their pros and cons.

Haha, I aint planning for a cpu upgrade for years 😂.

Im getting the asrock board, thanks for all your replies.

Feb 23, 2019
Haha, I aint planning for a cpu upgrade for years 😂.

Im getting the asrock board, thanks for all your replies.

Awesome man. Again you’ll be happy either way. Hope you enjoy it and everything works out well. I actually traded a ryzen 5 1400 for a AsRock pro4 just recently. Because of the fact I was that stuck between the MSI mortar and the Pro4. I purchased the mortar, even with the higher price tag and lack of US sellers, but I truly wanted to try an AsRock board

Fredin

Reputable
Apr 5, 2019
Awesome man. Again you’ll be happy either way. Hope you enjoy it and everything works out well. I actually traded a ryzen 5 1400 for a AsRock pro4 just recently. Because of the fact I was that stuck between the MSI mortar and the Pro4. I purchased the mortar, even with the higher price tag and lack of US sellers, but I truly wanted to try an AsRock board

Lucky you😆

And I'm sure I'll enjoy it - I completed GTA IV with a Pentium, Intel HD, and 4GB of ram - nothing'll come near that 😜

TRENDING THREADS