Question MSI B450M Tomahawk no HDMI, help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jkt97401

Commendable
May 9, 2019
Hey all,

I picked up an MSI 450 Tomahawk and a Ryzen 3 2200g today from Best Buy to put my build together. All went according to plan shortly after I booted it up, I noticed there was no sound over HDMI. I thought to myself, I probably just need to get the right drivers going and I'd be fine. I spent forever trying to install the right drivers foe the chipset because AMD is terrible at offering a nice driver package. Anyways, I finally figured out that my computer was indeed on and booted into windows by plugging it into my monitor with DVI. I had HDMI video but no audio prior to the driver update, and after I don't have anything.

Anyone out there have any advice for me?

Thanks in advance!

Hey all,

I picked up an MSI 450 Tomahawk and a Ryzen 3 2200g today from Best Buy to put my build together. All went according to plan shortly after I booted it up, I noticed there was no sound over HDMI. I thought to myself, I probably just need to get the right drivers going and I'd be fine. I spent forever trying to install the right drivers foe the chipset because AMD is terrible at offering a nice driver package. Anyways, I finally figured out that my computer was indeed on and booted into windows by plugging it into my monitor with DVI. I had HDMI video but no audio prior to the driver update, and after I don't have anything.

Anyone out there have any advice for me?

Thanks in advance!

Did you install the AMD graphics driver package for Ryzen with Vega? If you want HDMI audio from the motherboard's HDMI port that will be needed.

If you want HD audio from the on-board Realtek codec then you'll need to install the Audio drivers from MSI's motherboard support website. You only get audio from the phono jacks (rear panel or front panel if you connected it) for that.

Once you have both working (with drivers installed) you have to select which is the default output from the Windows Sound applet.

Jkt97401

Commendable
May 9, 2019
Thank you both for your replies!

I am up to date as far as windows update goes.

For the record, my BIOS is up to date as well. I do have the Ryzen drivers with Vega GPU installed as well. I've tried reinstalling these several times.

I do also have the audio drivers installed from MSI's website. I'm just at a loss here!

Jkt97401

Commendable
May 9, 2019
I forgot to include this earlier. I have tried different HDMI cables and different monitors. It works always over DVI but absolutely nothing over HDMI.

Jkt97401

Commendable
May 9, 2019
go into "sounds" by right clicking on the speaker icon in the right corner and make sure the proper playback device is being set.

what are you using for speakers or are you trying to use a headset?

I'm not using any audio device currently, but I've plugged headphones in and the audio out jack does work.

I'm even fine without sound over hdmi if I can't get that, but I have absolutely no video output.

Dec 15, 2019
Downgrade your bios to v14 and the audio will start working.

I, and others, have this same issue. I have the B450m gaming plus however. You need to find to find the bios equivalent to my bios v14 for your 450 Tomahawk.

Status
Not open for further replies.