Apr 27, 2024
To be clear: it'll boot into the BIOS. It'll boot into a LiveUSB and (now) has two options I've setup that are recognized in the BIOS including serial number size, physical SATA slot, etc, will accept installation of OS successfully to completion on newest drive. About two weeks ago the working machine crashed and when rebooting the motherboard simply halted at its interface page rather than the readable boot drive (working as of perhaps thirty seconds prior) was just no longer booting. The BIOS reads it serial number, brand, capacity, and SATA slot usage, etc. The drive is working, seems to be viewable by the board and was the primary entry in the boot order.

MSI B460M PRO-VDH
Core i3-10100
Corsair Vengeance 2x16GB 2166 Pairing (Slots working and correct per MSI tech support)
Radeon 7750
ASUS Silver Certified 750W
2x Acer 23.8"

On-board LAN always used and was just involved creating new boot disk

Debian 12.5

• First working boot disk Patriot P210 512SSD unchanged from previous state in case problem is anywhere else
  • WD 4B 3.5 mapped as /home
  • WD 8GB 3.5 overflow storage and local backup of my home directory via cron every six hours from the SSD
  • Second boot disk installed via LiveUSB earlier today onto a new WD 1GB 2.5 HDD
  • Successful installation. Is read properly within BIOS. Boot partition was flagged appropriately for boot.

What I've tried:
  • Defaulted BIOS (no hardware configuration changes since original assembly ~2-3 years ago and successful work/configuration)
  • Checked each boot drive via USB adapter on a separate machine. No fsck errors read in any. All drives read (like can be opened and their files viewed) and work appropriately
  • Removed GPU as it was working and unlikely to be of help in locating the cause
  • Physically disconnected all HDDs and SSD and have been using either the SSD in isolation or the 2.5 1TB drive in isolation
  • As they don't seem to be involved and have already been seated nicely for the whole time I haven't the CPU or RAM to check for physical damage.
  • No codes offered. Manually edited and ordered boot list successfully.
  • Reviewed motherboard user manual and can find no entries regarding the situation as described.
What I haven't tried (yet):
  • BIOS update. My thinking is the original BIOS in default configuration was working and an update should be put off in things to try to avoid unlikely, but possible secondary problems with the BIOS firmware.

Lots of Googling, lots of reddit searching, etc. The results are clouded heavily by similar cases where there is an error code being sent, it's a new build or upgrade with potential component issues or any hardware damage from installation.

I'm pretty stumped and not too far from annoyed enough at the lack of even ideas of things to try that in a moment of waiting for disk scan I threw together a wishlist to an entirely new replacement of the motherboard, processor, RAM and video card, but I scheduled that purchase/replacement for late next year and would prefer to avoid taking this kind of nuclear option as I really just rather like the configuration I have. It's there to provide a nice group of monitors for output, scripting, web browsing, light office usage, high quality video viewing (no editing), some light network administration and the likely sort of load you'd expect from someone who doesn't game, does no video editing and in the rare case where SVG or raster editing are necessary it's to make a minor correct like quickly removing a drop shadow or something. tl;dr for this is the hardware as working was working basically ideally.

I've never used this site before except for periodic stuff in like the mid-2000s, but it came up on my search results and the replies looked promising so I'm desperately hopeful

Thanks. I'm sure I've forgotten to include some details already that will be useful so if you could just toss some replies about what I can offer, I'll have this tab open in the background and add it as a reply ad edit it into the OP.

To be clear: it'll boot into the BIOS. It'll boot into a LiveUSB and (now) has two options I've setup that are recognized in the BIOS including serial number size, physical SATA slot, etc, will accept installation of OS successfully to completion on newest drive. About two weeks ago the working machine crashed and when rebooting the motherboard simply halted at its interface page rather than the readable boot drive (working as of perhaps thirty seconds prior) was just no longer booting. The BIOS reads it serial number, brand, capacity, and SATA slot usage, etc. The drive is working, seems to be viewable by the board and was the primary entry in the boot order.

MSI B460M PRO-VDH
Core i3-10100
Corsair Vengeance 2x16GB 2166 Pairing (Slots working and correct per MSI tech support)
Radeon 7750
ASUS Silver Certified 750W
2x Acer 23.8"

On-board LAN always used and was just involved creating new boot disk

Debian 12.5

• First working boot disk Patriot P210 512SSD unchanged from previous state in case problem is anywhere else
  • WD 4B 3.5 mapped as /home
  • WD 8GB 3.5 overflow storage and local backup of my home directory via cron every six hours from the SSD
  • Second boot disk installed via LiveUSB earlier today onto a new WD 1GB 2.5 HDD
  • Successful installation. Is read properly within BIOS. Boot partition was flagged appropriately for boot.

What I've tried:
  • Defaulted BIOS (no hardware configuration changes since original assembly ~2-3 years ago and successful work/configuration)
  • Checked each boot drive via USB adapter on a separate machine. No fsck errors read in any. All drives read (like can be opened and their files viewed) and work appropriately
  • Removed GPU as it was working and unlikely to be of help in locating the cause
  • Physically disconnected all HDDs and SSD and have been using either the SSD in isolation or the 2.5 1TB drive in isolation
  • As they don't seem to be involved and have already been seated nicely for the whole time I haven't the CPU or RAM to check for physical damage.
  • No codes offered. Manually edited and ordered boot list successfully.
  • Reviewed motherboard user manual and can find no entries regarding the situation as described.
What I haven't tried (yet):
  • BIOS update. My thinking is the original BIOS in default configuration was working and an update should be put off in things to try to avoid unlikely, but possible secondary problems with the BIOS firmware.

Lots of Googling, lots of reddit searching, etc. The results are clouded heavily by similar cases where there is an error code being sent, it's a new build or upgrade with potential component issues or any hardware damage from installation.

I'm pretty stumped and not too far from annoyed enough at the lack of even ideas of things to try that in a moment of waiting for disk scan I threw together a wishlist to an entirely new replacement of the motherboard, processor, RAM and video card, but I scheduled that purchase/replacement for late next year and would prefer to avoid taking this kind of nuclear option as I really just rather like the configuration I have. It's there to provide a nice group of monitors for output, scripting, web browsing, light office usage, high quality video viewing (no editing), some light network administration and the likely sort of load you'd expect from someone who doesn't game, does no video editing and in the rare case where SVG or raster editing are necessary it's to make a minor correct like quickly removing a drop shadow or something. tl;dr for this is the hardware as working was working basically ideally.

I've never used this site before except for periodic stuff in like the mid-2000s, but it came up on my search results and the replies looked promising so I'm desperately hopeful

Thanks. I'm sure I've forgotten to include some details already that will be useful so if you could just toss some replies about what I can offer, I'll have this tab open in the background and add it as a reply ad edit it into the OP.
Could be just damaged OS or corruption, is it Windows ?

Apr 27, 2024
I run Debian Linux rather a Windows, but given the drives it'd need to have been both the working installation in the drove that stopped booting and also in the new replacement drive with a fresh installation. I'm not trying to be a smartass or anything, just trying to be thorough in answering.

The most confusing aspect is that the USB installation media for the fresh drive (which is itself a LiveUSB) did automatically boot as it should and the installation went normally. When it was completed, I removed the USB drive, booted and the result was the same.

I don't know how this might work, but I've been looking in a closet for an extra add-on SATA controller in case there's some issue with the SATA port on the motherboard, but the same port is still reporting its data to the motherboard as it did when running normally. It just seemed like popping a generic one in that I know has healthy working ports would then require the PCe slot to be failing too, at which point the level of probabilities for all of this starts becoming absurd to me.

Thanks for the post.