Question MSI B550-A Pro Unable to boot windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 8, 2021
I have recently upgraded to my first AMD system and I'm having troubles that I believe is the fault of the motherboard but could use some help understanding if its something I can fix or if the board is faulty and I need to replace it.

Specs:
Ryzen 7 5800x
MSI B550-A Pro
32GB Corsair Vengence 3600MHz
Radeon RX 6800 XT
1TB M.2 NVMe SSD (Boot Drive)

The issue I am having is that It won't boot to windows.
When I turn the PC on, it shows the bios screen then stays looking at the Bios Logo and won't boot further.

Things I've tried:
  1. I've tested another known good SSD and that also won't boot (connected via SATA & USB in an external enclosure)
  2. I've taken my m.2 and plugged it into my old Intel machine and it boots fine
  3. I've reinstalled windows 5 or 6 times
  4. reseated the CPU & RAM
The only way I've found to be able to get it to boot. is to insert my Windows 10 Installation USB and boot to that. Then go to repair and click "continue to windows 10" and it then restarts and boots into windows (assuming the SSD is my primary boot device)
So it is as though the PC doesn't know how to boot into windows until it is told how by the installation USB.

Some other notable things.
If once in windows I restart the PC, it boots back up fine. Although if I shut down then power back up. it doesn't and I'm back at square one.

I've been using the PC for 2 days now and so far I've noticed no performance issues. I have not yet tried gaming.

And this may not be related. but I tried to enable XMP in the bios to enable my 3600MHz ram to run at 3600 instead of the 2666MHz it is running at now. but this becomes wildly unstable, my mouse and keyboard connect and disconnect rapidly until windows crashes.
I also tried using the bios' pre-set OC for the CPU and that also becomes wildly unstable and crashes. So I'm running everything stock right now with XMP turned off.

The PC has rebooted randomly twice since yesterday during normal use. As though I've got a slightly unstable OC but everything is stock. but other than that has run fine once I trick it into booting windows.

Does this sound like something that I can fix by changing some settings in the bios? or is the motherboard faulty and needs replacing?

Thanks

Feb 8, 2021
Hi iMxAndyy.

Let's take a step back.

Did you flash your BIOS to 7C56vA4 or 7C56vA5 with the BIOS Flashback that your board has?
Yes, I updated it earlier today and so far have not noticed any improvement.
Still needed to boot the USB install media first to tell it to boot windows.

Yes, I updated it earlier today and so far have not noticed any improvement.
Still needed to boot the USB install media first to tell it to boot windows.

You should bread board that system. 1 stick of RAM only in A2. No drives connected. Does it even boot to the BIOS like that and is it unstable or is everything ok and temp is fine? If you can go in the BIOS please turn off XMP for the moment.

Feb 8, 2021
You should bread board that system. 1 stick of RAM only in A2. No drives connected. Does it even boot to the BIOS like that and is it unstable or is everything ok and temp is fine? If you can go in the BIOS please turn off XMP for the moment.
So far nothing I have done has prevented me from accessing the Bios.
I've removed all but 1 stick of RAM, even swapped it out for other known good RAM.
no drives connected. everything still boots to bios.
Temps seem fine, roughly 32-35C at bios.

The issues seem to only start after the bios. Just doesn't seem to want to boot to any full windows OS

So far nothing I have done has prevented me from accessing the Bios.
I've removed all but 1 stick of RAM, even swapped it out for other known good RAM.
no drives connected. everything still boots to bios.
Temps seem fine, roughly 32-35C at bios.

The issues seem to only start after the bios. Just doesn't seem to want to boot to any full windows OS

Let's talk about that USB.

Is it the latest Windows 10 installation media created with Microsoft Media Creation Tool?

Did you try another USB Key?

Are you trying to boot to a fully installed Windows 10 from another system on that USB?

Feb 8, 2021
Let's talk about that USB.

Is it the latest Windows 10 installation media created with Microsoft Media Creation Tool?

Did you try another USB Key?
Initially, I used a USB I created probably almost 2 years ago. that I've used to build quite a few systems.
After about 3 attempts with that I created a new one on Sunday using the Media creation tool and tried again with that.
Both work fine in my other System. and both won't boot in this one.

Initially, I used a USB I created probably almost 2 years ago. that I've used to build quite a few systems.
After about 3 attempts with that I created a new one on Sunday using the Media creation tool and tried again with that.
Both work fine in my other System. and both won't boot in this one.

You plugging that USB at the rear or the front?

Did you try any other USB key? I would just to be sure if you didn't.

If it's plugged at the rear and you're sure that the usb key you're using is ok and it's the latest Windows 10 on there it should work.

Just to make sure about something. You're using the BIOS force boot to USB drive?

Feb 8, 2021
You plugging that USB at the rear or the front?

Did you try any other USB key? I would just to be sure if you didn't.

If it's plugged at the rear and you're sure that the usb key you're using is ok and it's the latest Windows 10 on there it should work.

Just to make sure about something. You're using the BIOS force boot to USB drive?
Yes, I plugged the USB into the motherboard directly.
The USB I originally used and the new one I made on Sunday are two different USBs

When I boot to the USB Drive I'm hitting F11 on start up and selecting it from the list.
Doing the same with the SSD just freezes as though there is nothing to boot.

Yes, I plugged the USB into the motherboard directly.
The USB I originally used and the new one I made on Sunday are two different USBs

When I boot to the USB Drive I'm hitting F11 on start up and selecting it from the list.
Doing the same with the SSD just freezes as though there is nothing to boot.

Go in the BIOS and go to the tab where you see save and exit and in this tab there should be a force boot to something option. This should boot the system directly to the USB without having to press anything. Did you try that? "Boot override"

It's there in my BIOS. No idea where it is in yours.

Feb 8, 2021
Go in the BIOS and go to the tab where you see save and exit and in this tab there should be a force boot to something option. This should boot the system directly to the USB without having to press anything. Did you try that?
Not sure if or where this option would be.
The MSI Bios doesn't have tabs, there is just a close button in the top right and a bunch of menus
Not sure where this option is

Feb 8, 2021
The option is called "Boot Override". It doesn't change the normal boot order and it just directly boot to the usb and the Windows install should start.
Just to clarify you are suggesting that I use this to boot to the USB?
What will that prove? I can already boot to the USB without fail using any method.
It's booting to windows on the SSD that fails.

Or did you mean that I should use this to boot to the SSD directly instead of going by boot order?

Just to clarify you are suggesting that I use this to boot to the USB?
What will that prove? I can already boot to the USB without fail using any method.
It's booting to windows on the SSD that fails.

Or did you mean that I should use this to boot to the SSD directly instead of going by boot order?

I had to go and read your post again. Ok I get it now. Forget what I said.

You're able to install Windows on the M.2 you just can't boot to Windows after the installation unless the USB is plugged in?

Feb 8, 2021
I had to go and read your post again. Ok I get it now. Forget what I said.

You're able to install Windows on the M.2 you just can't boot to Windows after the installation unless the USB is plugged in?

Yeah, the Install went fine. booting to the USB is fine.
but trying to boot into windows won't work.
Including but likely not limited to,
SSD via M.2
SSD via Sata
SSD via Usb (external enclosure)
none work to boot windows on this PC. All 3 work fine on my other PC

Proper way is to install windows and when windows is done and reboot automatically you remove the usb and you go in the BIOS to make sure the boot order is fine and that it will boot to the boot drive where the OS was just installed. The next boot should go in Windows without issues and without the usb being plugged.

Any bent pin on that CPU?

Tried a CMOS reset on that system after the BIOS update?

Feb 8, 2021
Proper way is to install windows and when windows is done and reboot automatically you remove the usb and you go in the BIOS to make sure the boot order is fine and that it will boot to the boot drive where the OS was just installed. The next boot should go in Windows without issues and without the usb being plugged.

Any bent pin on that CPU?
I did all of that but after removing the USB and checking the boot order. It won't boot back into windows.

There are no bent pins that I could see.

and I assume the CPU wouldn't seat if there were any bent pins?

I did all of that but after removing the USB and checking the boot order. It won't boot back into windows.

There are no bent pins that I could see.

and I assume the CPU wouldn't seat if there were any bent pins?

The CPU will seat ok if there are bent pins. The pin is just at a small angle and doesn't touch the contact in the socket properly.

What's your PSU brand and model?

Tried a CMOS Reset?

You seems to have tried everything and tested the parts in another system etc.

At this point if nothing works I don't know. I'd need the system here in my hands.

Feb 8, 2021
The CPU will seat ok if there are bent pins. The pin is just at a small angle and doesn't touch the contact in the socket properly.

What's your PSU brand and model?

Tried a CMOS Reset?

You seems to have tried everything and tested the parts in another system etc.

At this point if nothing works I'd say the board.
I would not rule out the CPU having a bent pin in that case.

I took this CPU from another system I was building but the CPU came out of the socket when I tried to remove the Cooler.
The suction of the paste seemed to be stronger than the grip the socket had on the CPU.
I looked as closely as I could and did not see any damage to any pins. but I cannot be certain of that.

But the question is, is this something that can be explained by a bent pin? Would one or more bent pins prevent Windows from booting, but otherwise function normally once booted into windows?
That said, Maybe it isn't functioning normally? as I said, I have had it reboot randomly a few times now as though I had overdone some overclocking. Although everything is stock.

My PSU is a Corsair HX1000W

And I've not tried a CMOS reset, is that likely to make a difference?

I would not rule out the CPU having a bent pin in that case.

I took this CPU from another system I was building but the CPU came out of the socket when I tried to remove the Cooler.
The suction of the paste seemed to be stronger than the grip the socket had on the CPU.
I looked as closely as I could and did not see any damage to any pins. but I cannot be certain of that.

But the question is, is this something that can be explained by a bent pin? Would one or more bent pins prevent Windows from booting, but otherwise function normally once booted into windows?
That said, Maybe it isn't functioning normally? as I said, I have had it reboot randomly a few times now as though I had overdone some overclocking. Although everything is stock.

My PSU is a Corsair HX1000W

And I've not tried a CMOS reset, is that likely to make a difference?

Well the only way to know is to try and check. I have no idea if a bent pin can do that. Booting to Windows should be easy after a clean install on a formatted drive unless the drive is faulty but you tried it in another system and it's ok. So I'd say the USB key or some corruption of files of that Windows but you tried another usb key and you have the latest windows 10.

You tried another good SSD connected as SATA and it didn't work either? Yeah I'd say the board. Look closely at the pins. Make sure they are all straight.

Turn PSU switch off and uplug the PSU from the wall and press the power button for 15 seconds. Remove the battery and wait 10 mins and come back. Put the battery back. Plug PSU in the wall and PSU switch to on and try again.

If anyone want to jump in and help that would be nice. I'm probably missing something obvious if it's not hardware issue.

Mar 30, 2021
I have recently upgraded to my first AMD system and I'm having troubles that I believe is the fault of the motherboard but could use some help understanding if its something I can fix or if the board is faulty and I need to replace it.

Specs:
Ryzen 7 5800x
MSI B550-A Pro
32GB Corsair Vengence 3600MHz
Radeon RX 6800 XT
1TB M.2 NVMe SSD (Boot Drive)

The issue I am having is that It won't boot to windows.
When I turn the PC on, it shows the bios screen then stays looking at the Bios Logo and won't boot further.

Things I've tried:
  1. I've tested another known good SSD and that also won't boot (connected via SATA & USB in an external enclosure)
  2. I've taken my m.2 and plugged it into my old Intel machine and it boots fine
  3. I've reinstalled windows 5 or 6 times
  4. reseated the CPU & RAM
The only way I've found to be able to get it to boot. is to insert my Windows 10 Installation USB and boot to that. Then go to repair and click "continue to windows 10" and it then restarts and boots into windows (assuming the SSD is my primary boot device)
So it is as though the PC doesn't know how to boot into windows until it is told how by the installation USB.

Some other notable things.
If once in windows I restart the PC, it boots back up fine. Although if I shut down then power back up. it doesn't and I'm back at square one.

I've been using the PC for 2 days now and so far I've noticed no performance issues. I have not yet tried gaming.

And this may not be related. but I tried to enable XMP in the bios to enable my 3600MHz ram to run at 3600 instead of the 2666MHz it is running at now. but this becomes wildly unstable, my mouse and keyboard connect and disconnect rapidly until windows crashes.
I also tried using the bios' pre-set OC for the CPU and that also becomes wildly unstable and crashes. So I'm running everything stock right now with XMP turned off.

The PC has rebooted randomly twice since yesterday during normal use. As though I've got a slightly unstable OC but everything is stock. but other than that has run fine once I trick it into booting windows.

Does this sound like something that I can fix by changing some settings in the bios? or is the motherboard faulty and needs replacing?

Thanks

I have this same motherboard with AMD 5600x CPU. I am having same issue as you. I've been running this board fine with the 5600x cpu for the pass 5 months since the CPU was newly released. Now suddenly, nearly 5 months later near April 2021, Windows updated, and now won't boot from any of my hard drives be it NVME or SATA ports. So I try re-install Windows from USB installer, computer boots from the USB thumb drive installer okay, and installs Windows onto hard drive that I select. Then, when it comes time to reboot the system after installer finishes, IT STILL REFUSES TO BOOT FROM MY INTERNAL HARD DRIVES. I've tried everything I can, even tried resetting to default values, resetting Windows key values stored in BIOS, nothing works. I'm stuck with a system that continually boots to BIOS only, and refuses to load operating system on my hard drive. I've also tried updating to newest BIOS version. Didn't resolve my problem. Only solution I see right now is to just replace my motherboard with something else and move all my old components over to the new motherboard. Lemme know if any of you guys were able to fix the problem.

EDIT:

Well, surprisingly I got a new motherboard hoping to fix the booting straight to BIOS, not wanting to load Windows issue. I still got the same results. I switched to an Asus B550 motherboard this time, same results. I took my 5600x CPU from my previous MSI B550-A Pro and stuck it onto the ASUS, it still won't load Windows. I've read of another case of someone else with the same issue of their Ryzen system refusing to load Windows, and they said it turned out to be their CPU, they tried another CPU and it worked. Well, I just need a working system with my RTX 3080 card for the time being that's been working fine in my Ryzen system previously. So, I stuck the RTX card in my older standby PC with an Intel CPU (also moved the hard drive from previous Ryzen system over), did a fresh Windows install, and it booted into Windows fine.

I think from now on, I will avoid AMD CPUs, too, like you. AMD CPUs seem to have a high failure rate. So, it seems the fix for my problem is: avoid AMD platform, stick with Intel.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2021
unfortunately, I never figured this out. I tried everything you've tried and anything I could think to try.
I was able to get it to boot into windows by using the install media and choosing to continue to windows. It would reboot and for that session only it would work. which obviously isn't useable.

Fortunately for me the motherboard and CPU were new so I was able to just return them and even though I'm sure it's not AMD's fault I went intel instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.