Question MSI B550 A Pro VGA light on. On 2nd board and still same issue.

Oct 31, 2022
So I could really use some help here. First time PC builder. The VGA EZ debug light comes on when I power on the computer and no display shows up. After a lot of troubleshooting I thought it was a DOA board, so I got a replacement. Same issue so now I'm really confused.

Build
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard: MSI B550 A Pro
RAM: Silicon Power GAMING 16 GB (2x8gb) DDR4-3200 CL 16
SSD: Western Digital Black SN770 500 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4
GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1660 6 GB
Case: Cooler Master Masterbox MB511 ARGB ATX Mid Tower Case
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 PE 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX

Things I've Tried...
Flash Bios to 7C56vA9
Clear CMOS
Boot with 1 RAM stick
Tried GPU in another computer and it works fine
Replaced the motherboard

After all the different things I've done I can figure it out. Please, anyone have any ideas what it could be?

Oct 31, 2022
I would suggest you try booting the motherboard outside the case. The motherboard could be shorting somewhere on the case.

Ive been trying outside the case. Sorry, forgot to put that in the original post.

I just tried to GPU in another build again to make sure I didn’t hallucinate it working before in a different build and it worked fine. However, I noticed the gpu fans turned on right away in the test build and they aren’t turning on in the new build at all. The PSU supplies power to the motherboard and cpu just fine though. I tried both of the PCIe spots on the PSU but no change in either one. I find it hard to believe that 2 different PCIe spaces on the power supply could be broken when the 24 pin and cpu power is fine.

Im trying everything I can think of.

Oct 31, 2022
Are you positive you're flashing the BIOS correctly?

Pretty sure. I downloaded the file, unzipped it, copied it to the flash drive, renamed it to msi.rom, put it into the flash bios USB port on motherboard, powered up the motherboard and pushed the flash bios button. Red light blinked for about 5 minutes, it powered off then back on again.

Oct 31, 2022
I ended up calling MSI directly. Was told only MSI or Founders Edition GPU’s will be compatible with this board. So frustrating. That compatibility issue didn’t show up in pcpartpicker or any other research I did.

TRENDING THREADS