[SOLVED] MSI B550 Gaming Edge WIFI or MSI X570 Tomahawk WIFI?

Macif

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2014
I recently bought an MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI since it had a discount. But I'm feeling a slight buyers remorse already, since the MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI only cost 22 USD more after a discount. So I was hoping to get some input due to my planned usage, to find out if the B550 is sufficient enough.

Basically I'm building a new computer. So I'm planning to either get the ryzen 5800X or 5900X. And a RTX 3070 later down the line when they are available again (plan to use my GTX 970 from my old rig while I wait). And I plan to get a M.2 NVMe that is PCIe gen 3, due to the cost of the ones that are gen 4, unless I happen to stumble upon a discount closer to black friday. Also plan to throw in an HDD drive and a left over SSD that I tried to use on a laptop that turns out to not function. I have never overclocked before so I cant really say that I plan to do this in the future either. The usage would be split between gaming and audio/video editing (hobby, not professional).

I have been a bit out of this lately since I built my previous computer back in 2014. But based on what I have listed above, at least from my point of view, I'd say that the B550 fits my use? Considering that I dont really need two M.2 with PCIe gen 4, and that I'm only going to use one GPU and nothing else card wise. Since the motherboard already has wifi and bluetooth. I hope to keep this rig for at least 5-6 years as a side note, since I game in 1080. Is there anything else I have overlooked in regards to what this particular X570 brings to the table in comparison to this particular B550? I'm also worried about the fan that comes on the X570 in terms of how long it would last.

Solution
Yes it fits your use case scenario and the other plus point is that the B550 is a latter chipset so they seem to be having a better time with updating BIOS for the 5ooo series, speaking of which, why did you buy the board first? You should've bought all parts in one go.

Why am I saying that? Because some people are having trouble flashing their BIOS to the latest version to drop in a Ryzen 5000 series processor.

The board's a solid buy, provided you have other parts to pair with it! ;)

Lutfij

Titan
Yes it fits your use case scenario and the other plus point is that the B550 is a latter chipset so they seem to be having a better time with updating BIOS for the 5ooo series, speaking of which, why did you buy the board first? You should've bought all parts in one go.

Why am I saying that? Because some people are having trouble flashing their BIOS to the latest version to drop in a Ryzen 5000 series processor.

The board's a solid buy, provided you have other parts to pair with it! ;)

Solution

jtk2515

Distinguished
I believe the B550 only has 83% of vrm current of the 570x tomahawk. But unless your looking for the very best vrm's. it is a great board.

I made this assumption base on the fact the vrm's of the b550 gaming edge being the same as the b550 tomahawk and this review below. That talks about the b550 tomahawk and the 570x tomahawks vrm's. As far as real life testing they arm only 2 c difference at 200watts.

Last edited: