[SOLVED] MSI B550 Mortar motherboard - - - the CPU, VGA and BOOT Debug LEDs won't go off ?

Feb 3, 2023
Hi,
I have:
Ryzen 5 3600
MSI B550 Mortar
Corsair Vengeance Rgb Pro 32GB DDR4 RAM
1660 Super

After I upgraded my MSI B450M-A Pro Max motherboard to a MSI B550 Mortar, these problems with the debug LEDs occurred:

At first, there was no problem after the build. But after two weeks I saw the VGA led didn't go off and the screen didn't open spontaneously. PC was waiting on the black screen at this moment but I could enter the bios or continue in secure mode by pressing f10. I thought this was because of my SSD drive because I didn't format my SSD before I upgraded my motherboard with b550 mortar. So I did a clean install and the problem was solved.

But after one-two week, Windows blue screen appeared, but it recovered automatically. So I thought the problem was corrupted system files and I repaired them by Cmd.
But after that, the same problem with the VGA light and black screen occurred again and I changed my bios version to the compatible one with my CPU, E7C94AMS.100 (the old bios version was the latest 2022). Now my pc works fine but I can't say the same for the debug LEDs. After booting my pc, sometimes the CPU, sometimes the VGA and BOOT lights stay on, or both stay on, but the PC starts successfully. I don't have a clue about the problem but it's really annoying. I will be grateful if you can help or give me tips about the problem.

Solution
Windows Media Creation Tools also allows you to make the installer, might want to recreate your Windows 11 bootable USB installer using that and then reinstall your OS. To also, add, you should update to the latest BIOS version. Downgrading your BIOS has been known to brick motherboards(or so I've seen across the forums).

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

After I upgraded my motherboard with b550 mortar(the old one was Msi b450 m-a pro max), these problems with debug LEDs occurred.
So I did a clean install and the problem was solved.

Where did you source the installer for your OS?

I changed my bios version to the compatible one with my CPU, E7C94AMS.100 (the old bios version was the latest 2022)
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-B550M-MORTAR/support
^ according to this list, which BIOS version are you on at this moment of time? 7C94v10? That's first release. You should ideally be on the latest BIOS version, not the older one.

Might want to list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model.

Reactions: lyfearde
Feb 3, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

After I upgraded my motherboard with b550 mortar(the old one was Msi b450 m-a pro max), these problems with debug LEDs occurred.
So I did a clean install and the problem was solved.

Where did you source the installer for your OS?

I changed my bios version to the compatible one with my CPU, E7C94AMS.100 (the old bios version was the latest 2022)
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-B550M-MORTAR/support
^ according to this list, which BIOS version are you on at this moment of time? 7C94v10? That's first release. You should ideally be on the latest BIOS version, not the older one.

Might want to list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model.
Thanks for the reply!

For the first question, I downloaded Windows 10 iso file from https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows10 and created a UEFI using Rufus. After the setup, I updated my OS to W11.

My current BIOS version is 7C94v10. But before these problems, I was using the latest version. I thought the problem could be dependent on this so I downgraded it to the old version.

My system specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard: Msi Mag B550 Mortar
Ram: x2 Corsair Vengeance Rgb Pro 16GB DDR4
SSD/HDD: Kingston A2000 250GB PCIe NVMe SSD / Toshiba 3.5" 1 TB P300 SATA 3.0 7200 RPM HDD
GPU: MSI GTX 1660 SUPER GAMING X 192 Bit GDDR6 6 GB
PSU: Cooler Master Mpw-5002-Acabw 500W (using for almost 3 years)
Chassis: Corsair crystal 280x
Monitor: MSI Optix G24C4 and MSI Optix G241VC
and also, have Cooler Master Masterliquid ML240 Illusion as Cpu cooler and 4 Corsair LL120 fans.

Lutfij

Titan
Windows Media Creation Tools also allows you to make the installer, might want to recreate your Windows 11 bootable USB installer using that and then reinstall your OS. To also, add, you should update to the latest BIOS version. Downgrading your BIOS has been known to brick motherboards(or so I've seen across the forums).

Reactions: lyfearde
Solution
Feb 3, 2023
Thanks so much. I will try and share the results..