Teodor Bajzik

Commendable
Mar 25, 2020
So basically out of nowhere my audio from my motherboard stopped working.
I know it's not an OS fault as it is not working neither in Windows or Ubuntu distro.
I basically tried reinstalling a few audio drivers, checking in BIOS if HD audio is enabled and a few more things that just didn't work.
The fun part is that generally the audio seems to be working, as the sound settings in control panel detected the sound waves but I couldn't hear anything coming out of my wired headphones.
It really is strange, as it seems that my Bluetooth headset is working and I can even hear the music.
Could anyone please think of a solution?
Thanks

Updates:
  • The wired headphones are 100% working and not at the fault here
  • Right device is selected as "default audio output device" in control panel
  • Windows is detecting the headphones when I plug them in
  • Reinstalling audio drivers doesn't help
  • Installing Realtek Audio Console and configuring the settings in it didn't help
  • HD Audio is turned on in BIOS
  • Resetting the BIOS manually didn't help
  • Resetting the CMOS battery didn't help

Last edited:
Solution
@drea.drechsler @Aeacus Some news, just updated the BIOS successfully to the latest version, cleared the CMOS again and I still don't get any audio output. Should I just ask for a replacement? It's still under warranty, but It will take approximately something more over than a month to get a new unit and this is my only computing unit, which is used on daily basis. What should I do?
Obviously, and ideally, you'd want the mfr. to honor their warranty. But the reality of the logistics of it isn't appealing

so...options...
  1. use a backup system you might have laying around in place of this while getting it replaced
  2. use the HDMI audio output from your GPU and live with it's limitations
  3. buy a cheap...

Teodor Bajzik

Commendable
Mar 25, 2020
You sure that your headphones didn't die instead? Since this is far more likely, rather than audio jacks, which are very robust and carry analog signal, to die. Especially since your wireless headset works over USB.
@Aeacus I'm 100% sure that they didn't die, as they work both on my mobile and laptop devices.

P.S The front jack doesn't work aswell (HD Audio Cable is plugged in correctly)

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
In Win settings, put the default/primary audio output device as "Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)". This enables the 3.5mm jacks.

Do note that by default, you can not get audio into both, 3.5mm jack (headphones) and USB device (headset) at the same time. Instead, you have to switch between the two.

@Aeacus I'm 100% sure that they didn't die, as they work both on my mobile and laptop devices.

P.S The front jack doesn't work aswell (HD Audio Cable is plugged in correctly)
In windows search type in "Sound Settings", in the dialogue that opens check where you want to play sound. On my board I have to select "Speakers" for sound to come out the audio jacks...whether front or rear.

Teodor Bajzik

Commendable
Mar 25, 2020
In Win settings, put the default/primary audio output device as "Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)". This enables the 3.5mm jacks.

Do note that by default, you can not get audio into both, 3.5mm jack (headphones) and USB device (headset) at the same time. Instead, you have to switch between the two.
@Aeacus I know that you can't get audio into the both devices, just wanted to say that my bluetooth headphones work. As I said it doesn't seem to be an OS fault but anyways I made Realtek High Definition Audio my default device. The icon next to it showed the music levels working just fine, but still no output to my headphones. I am getting really desperate here, because it really just stopped working out of nowhere.

Teodor Bajzik

Commendable
Mar 25, 2020
In windows search type in "Sound Settings", in the dialogue that opens check where you want to play sound. On my board I have to select "Speakers" for sound to come out the audio jacks...whether front or rear.
@drea.drechsler Had it already selected as default, the audio levels are displaying music playing, but still no output in my headphones. I don't think it's an OS problem either.

Teodor Bajzik

Commendable
Mar 25, 2020
Have you tried with 2nd, known to work, 3.5mm jack device? Either speakers or headphones.
Since while your current 3.5mm jack headphones work with other devices, trying with 2nd device doesn't hurt.
@Aeacus just tried out the 2nd device that does work on my others devices and I still couldn't hear audio. The device is not the problem, but currently the jack seems more like it...

Btw a guy that I know said that it could possibly be fixed by a BIOS update. Should I take the risk? I know that I'm like 2 versions of BIOSes behind the latest one.

Last edited:
@Aeacus ....
Btw a guy that I know said that it could possibly be fixed by a BIOS update. Should I take the risk? I know that I'm like 2 versions of BIOSes behind the latest one.
Updating BIOS is really a pretty good thing and not really risky if you follow good procedure. The basics are covered in your manual, do it from within the BIOS using the BIOS update utility. Also, be sure to reset CMOS after updating it.

Also: Don't do it when a thunderstorm's in the area. Don't do it with a 2yo in the room... and don't do it with your cat around if it likes to lay on your keyboard to get attention.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Your MoBo also has SPDIF out, that you could try, if you have device that uses SPDIF.
It also has RS-Out and CS-Out as well. Trying those too would tell if the whole audio packet isn't working, or is it just the Line-Out port.

Should I take the risk?

It depends.

If BIOS update should be interrupted for whatever reason (e.g power loss), your MoBo will be bricked.
When you have funds to replace bricked MoBo, then the risk is low, if your MoBo gets bricked. But without funds for replacement, risk is very high.

All-in-all, i, personally, don't suggest BIOS update on a whim or "possible fix". Instead, BIOS update should be done only when you know for a fact, that newer BIOS fixes an issue you're having. (E.g if i want to use Kaby Lake CPUs with my Z170 chipset MoBo, i have to update my MoBo BIOS. <- And risk of loosing MoBo has still kept me from Kaby Lake. Instead, i'm happy with my i5-6600K Skylake CPU.)

Further reading on your BIOS update in holy bible of PCs (aka MoBo manual), pages 45 and 46. Pages 23, 24 and 25 cover the audio ports.

Teodor Bajzik

Commendable
Mar 25, 2020
Your MoBo also has SPDIF out, that you could try, if you have device that uses SPDIF.
It also has RS-Out and CS-Out as well. Trying those too would tell if the whole audio packet isn't working, or is it just the Line-Out port.

It depends.

If BIOS update should be interrupted for whatever reason (e.g power loss), your MoBo will be bricked.
When you have funds to replace bricked MoBo, then the risk is low, if your MoBo gets bricked. But without funds for replacement, risk is very high.

All-in-all, i, personally, don't suggest BIOS update on a whim or "possible fix". Instead, BIOS update should be done only when you know for a fact, that newer BIOS fixes an issue you're having. (E.g if i want to use Kaby Lake CPUs with my Z170 chipset MoBo, i have to update my MoBo BIOS. <- And risk of loosing MoBo has still kept me from Kaby Lake. Instead, i'm happy with my i5-6600K Skylake CPU.)

Further reading on your BIOS update in holy bible of PCs (aka MoBo manual), pages 45 and 46. Pages 23, 24 and 25 cover the audio ports.
I don't have a device with SPDIF so unfortunately I couldn't try if it works. But I've tried CS-Out and RS-Out and none of them worked... I think I will just move on to the point of updating the bios, as it seems like my only chance at this point.

I don't have a device with SPDIF so unfortunately I couldn't try if it works. But I've tried CS-Out and RS-Out and none of them worked... I think I will just move on to the point of updating the bios, as it seems like my only chance at this point.
FWIW...

The issue with AMD BIOS's and audio is the fTPM has caused audio glitching when it's been enabled. The latest BIOS, with the latest AGESA code, for most motherboards fixes that. I believe you should be able to disable the fTPM and recover from the audio glitching...but then you don't have the security benefits the fTPM provides for. Audio glitching isn't the same as complete loss of audio but at least they're related.

This is one reason it's a good idea to update to latest BIOS; the other is USB port drop-outs that the latest AGESA also fixes.

If you lack the confidence to do the update yourself then take it to a professional and let them do it. It's not usually very expensive...I think the Microcenter near me charges around $25 for the service.

Last edited:

Teodor Bajzik

Commendable
Mar 25, 2020
FWIW...

The issue with AMD BIOS's and audio is the fTPM has caused audio glitching when it's been enabled. The latest BIOS, with the latest AGESA code, for most motherboards fixes that. I believe you should be able to disable the fTPM and recover from the audio glitching...but then you don't have the security benefits the fTPM provides for. Audio glitching isn't the same as complete loss of audio but at least they're related.

This is one reason it's a good idea to update to latest BIOS; the other is USB port drop-outs that the latest AGESA also fixes.

If you lack the confidence to do the update yourself then take it to a professional and let them do it. It's not usually very expensive...I think the Microcenter near me charges around $25 for the service.
@drea.drechsler @Aeacus Some news, just updated the BIOS successfully to the latest version, cleared the CMOS again and I still don't get any audio output. Should I just ask for a replacement? It's still under warranty, but It will take approximately something more over than a month to get a new unit and this is my only computing unit, which is used on daily basis. What should I do?

Obviously, and ideally, you'd want the mfr. to honor their warranty. But the reality of the logistics of it isn't appealing

so...options...
  1. use a backup system you might have laying around in place of this while getting it replaced
  2. use the HDMI audio output from your GPU and live with it's limitations
  3. buy a cheap motherboard to get you by till the replacement returns; if you've a motherboard laying around do the same
  4. buy a USB sound card and live with it's limitations
  5. buy a PCIe sound card...this is preferred since it offers several benefits including better sound quality, fully integrates with back panel ports on the card (the motherboard's audio ports will be disabled), a header for the case's front panel ports, and can be moved with future system upgrades. It should also be least as capable as your motherboard audio...if you go higher up the product stack the sky's the limit for audio processing features though.

Last edited:
Solution

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
What should I do?
Options what drea.drechsler shared, are basically what you could do.

Here are few others:
  1. Stop using 3.5mm jack headphones, instead, use USB (bluetooth) headset only.
  2. Some monitors do have 3.5mm jack, that connects to PC with HDMI or DisplayPort.
  3. Rather than getting cheap MoBo, cut your losses and buy the same (or any other high-end) MoBo that you'd be happy with. <- This is good when you don't have time to wait for RMA.

TRENDING THREADS