Question MSI B550M-A PRO Future ram Upgrade

May 7, 2023
I have a 2 slot ram motherboard,

currently i'm rocking with 3200mhz 8x2, totalling on 16gb

Is it worth going for higher speeds/16x2? I'm not sure if my motherboard does support the higher speeds, but i did see on the msi website for the motherboard that it supports up to 4600 (OC) But everywhere else i look is 3200mhz max.

Any recommendations or insights would be appreciated c:

Specs:
R9 5900x
corsair vengeance lpx 8x2 3200mhz
MSI RTX 3070 Suprim X
RM750w Gold rated

Solution
Is it worth going for higher speeds/16x2?
Amount - Yes. Higher frequency - No.

This short video explains RAM speeds;

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_Yt4vSZKVk

As for amount, if what you use your PC for, constantly needs more than 16GB (e.g 3D render and the like), then more RAM amount does help in terms of render. But for gaming, most games are fine with 16GB RAM. Now, there are some never AAA titles that for minimum require 16GB of RAM. If you do play such titles, then going with 32GB of RAM can help (to reduce in-game stutters).

I'm not sure if my motherboard does support the higher speeds
It does.
MoBo specs...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Is it worth going for higher speeds/16x2?
Amount - Yes. Higher frequency - No.

This short video explains RAM speeds;

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_Yt4vSZKVk

As for amount, if what you use your PC for, constantly needs more than 16GB (e.g 3D render and the like), then more RAM amount does help in terms of render. But for gaming, most games are fine with 16GB RAM. Now, there are some never AAA titles that for minimum require 16GB of RAM. If you do play such titles, then going with 32GB of RAM can help (to reduce in-game stutters).

I'm not sure if my motherboard does support the higher speeds
It does.
MoBo specs: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B550M-A-PRO/Specification
(Click on Detail tab)

Solution
I have a 2 slot ram motherboard,

currently i'm rocking with 3200mhz 8x2, totalling on 16gb

Is it worth going for higher speeds/16x2? I'm not sure if my motherboard does support the higher speeds, but i did see on the msi website for the motherboard that it supports up to 4600 (OC) But everywhere else i look is 3200mhz max.

Any recommendations or insights would be appreciated c:

Specs:
R9 5900x
corsair vengeance lpx 8x2 3200mhz
MSI RTX 3070 Suprim X
RM750w Gold rated
It has only been tested by MSI up to speeds of 3466Mhz according to this:
However, the best performance for Ryzen 5xxx chips is 3600Mhz with low CAS latency of14(expensive) or 16
Look for 3600Mhz ram with CAS 16
Having said that the difference in performance is usually pretty small so it's not worth spending loads unless money isn't an issue.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
and if i go higher than that, would it just clock itself back to what it can do max?
If the RAM frequency OC isn't stable, RAM will clock itself back to JEDEC default, which is any of these:
* Supports DDR4 1866/ 2133/ 2400/ 2667/ 2800/ 2933/ 3000/ 3066/ 3200 MHz by JEDEC

Either that, or you can't boot your PC at all, as long as you don't manually select stable, JEDEC frequency from BIOS.

So i can go for 3600mhz basically?

and if i go higher than that, would it just clock itself back to what it can do max?
If the memory OC is unstable it can either fail to boot up or BSOD or crash. Anything over 3200Mhz is overclocking the memory. Many Ryzen chips can achieve a stable memory OC. Some can't. You get the best performance from 3600Mhz because of how the memory communicates with the CPU so even if you can get a higher stable memory overclock it won't give higher performance.

TRENDING THREADS