Question MSI B560M-A Pro - Restore Default Settings = POST Failure Requiring Manual CMOS Reset

AtomikDjakareh_32G

Prominent
Aug 25, 2022
2 days ago I had to restore the UEFI's default settings, and to my surprise, the mobo simply refused to POST.
DRAM led was solid amber. I thought I had killed the motherboard or possibly even the processor's IMC.

The machine would start, hang during DRAM check, shut down, then start and hang during the DRAM test again... this would repeat for 3 times and then the mobo would just give up and do nothing.
I was then forced to remove the CMOS battery to manually clear the settings. All was back to normal.

Specs;
APU/SoC: Intel Core i5-11400 w/ Unlocked Power Limits;
Main Cooler: DeepCool AK400 WH;
RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666MHz DDR4;
SSD: Kingston Fury Renegade PCIe 4.0 NVMe 500GB;
Mobo: MSI B560M-A PRO;
GPUs: 51 Risc AMD Radeon RX 5500 XT 8GB GDDR6 + Intel UHD Graphics 730 (for Quick Sync).

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
Sig space specs can and will change over time, when that happens any possible solutions/suggestions will end up being moot to the users in the same boat as you're in now, this is why we include specs to a build that's causing issues into the thread's body. I've added that to your initial post here. Hope you don't mind.

You forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU. If it's been in service for a while, please pass on it's age.

RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666MHz DDR4
Got a link to this ram kit? You might also want to try with one stick of ram in the event that all slots are populated and you end up with a no POST/DRAM LED issue. Just to note, be wary that your motherboard doesn't have any BIOS recovery option, meaning if there's a BIOS corruption, you'd need to break out a CH341A BIOS Programming toolkit or RMA the board.

Mobo: MSI B560M-A PRO
For the sake of relevance, what BIOS version are you on for your motherboard?

Reactions: AtomikDjakareh_32G

AtomikDjakareh_32G

Prominent
Aug 25, 2022
Sig space specs can and will change over time, when that happens any possible solutions/suggestions will end up being moot to the users in the same boat as you're in now, this is why we include specs to a build that's causing issues into the thread's body. I've added that to your initial post here. Hope you don't mind.

You forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU. If it's been in service for a while, please pass on it's age.

RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666MHz DDR4
Got a link to this ram kit? You might also want to try with one stick of ram in the event that all slots are populated and you end up with a no POST/DRAM LED issue. Just to note, be wary that your motherboard doesn't have any BIOS recovery option, meaning if there's a BIOS corruption, you'd need to break out a CH341A BIOS Programming toolkit or RMA the board.

Mobo: MSI B560M-A PRO
For the sake of relevance, what BIOS version are you on for your motherboard?

The PSU is a Corsair CS850M 850W Gold, been using it since circa the end of 2018.
Using the latest UEFI/BIOS available, version 2.70.

RAM kit link: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB 2x32GB DDR4 2666MHz Kit